Road and footpath maintenance

Report a pothole or issues with roads, footpaths or kerbs, private road adoption, road resurfacing issues and schedules.

Do I need permission to install a dropped kerb?

Having a dropped kerb installed for vehicular access to your property may need planning permission. 

Please read more about dropped kerbs in our planning section.

Will the council repair private roads?

No, the council has no responsibility to maintain private roads. The council may adopt private roads if requested by the owner provided it is to the correct standard. We will advise further following application. Please send us details of your request:

Get in touch

How often are roads and footpaths inspected?

To comply with our duty under the Highways Act 1980, we carry out routine safety inspections on all public roads and footpaths. How frequently we inspect a road or footpath will depend on the amount of traffic or pedestrians.

We may also carry out additional inspections as a result of reports from members of the public, the police or other organisations. View roads scheduled for resurfacing.

How long do repairs take?

The time taken will naturally depend on the extent of repair that is needed. Some roads can be resurfaced and ready to drive on in under an hour, but some repairs may need more time.

We try to reduce inconvenience to the public by giving advance notice wherever possible, either online or using nearby signs. 

We will also sweep the road or footpath both before and after the work is carried out. If replacement road markings are required, these will be replaced as soon as possible. View roads scheduled for resurfacing.

My road was due for resurfacing. Why has this not happened?

If we don’t carry out the work on the date stated, this will probably be due to unsuitable weather conditions. Surface dressing work can only be completed during spells of dry weather as the materials we use won’t stick or set properly in cold and wet conditions.

If we have to postpone the resurfacing of a road, we will aim to alter nearby signage with the revised date as soon as possible.

What is the ‘List of Streets’ and what does it show?

Under the Highways Act 1980, Section 36(6), every highway authority has to keep an up-to-date record of any highway maintainable at public expense and allow this to be inspected by any member of the public. This is referred to as the ‘List of Streets’.

Like many rural authorities, where some highways have no name at all we usually record our information as a series of maps – although some areas, such as Bridlington, have their records listed in text. There are two sets of maps showing:

  • Highways maintained at public expense - these include the roads and footways that have been adopted by the council.
  • Public rights of way - these are referred to as the definitive map which shows paths that the public can use, although there are some rights of way that are not maintained by the council. 

What it doesn't show:

The List of Streets does not show: 

  • All the streets in the East Riding of Yorkshire – the List of Streets only indicates highways that are maintainable at public expense and does not include streets that are privately maintained.
  • What type of highway the street is – the List of Streets includes footpaths, alleys and passages. The presence of a street on our records does not necessarily mean it can be driven or ridden down.
  • Who owns the land – highways can run over private land.
  • Private access rights – the records show which highways can be used by the public, they do not show private rights of access.
  • How wide the street is or where the highway boundary is – the widths on the map are only indicative of the highway extent. We don't typically hold detailed information on highway extents or the exact location of the highway boundary and we don't currently provide a service to research these issues. However, if you require assistance relating to a highway boundary issue, we offer a 'meet on site service' and will take the best view inline with known practice. Get in touch to arrange an appointment.
  • Private streets maintained by the council – the maps do not show streets that the council maintains that are not highway. For example some access roads to Council depots and within school boundaries. 

How to view the 'list of streets'

To make it easy for you to view the List of Streets, we have a digital version of the Highways maintained at public expense  at our Beverley customer service centre and a copy of our Definitive Map at the Treasure House in Beverley. This information has been prepared from paper maps and is correct to the best of our knowledge.

Similar information is available at Find My Street and Walking the Riding. We take every reasonable effort to ensure that the information contained on these sites is accurate, but the records are subject to frequent changes. The websites are for reference only and not our official 'list of streets' and therefore should not be relied upon for legal purposes.*

* Disclaimer: We shall not be liable for any indirect or consequential loss (whether for loss of profit, loss of business, depletion of goodwill or otherwise), costs, expense or other claims for consequential compensation whatsoever (howsoever caused) which arise out of or in connection with the use of the Walking the Riding or Find My Street services.

If you would like to see the actual physical maps, please get in touch to arrange a viewing.

Further information

Tel: (01482) 393939

Which roads are subject to a New Roads and Streetworks Act Section 58 notice?

Roads subject to a Section 58 notice are those which have had major works recently carried out, the purpose of the notice is to prohibit other organisations, such as a telephone company, from excavating them for up to five years, unless it is an emergency.

Roads subject to current or planned Section 58 restrictions (90kb)

How have you spent the extra highway maintenance funding?

In the 2018 Budget the government provided an extra £420 million to help repair roads and footpaths (including pothole repairs) and to keep local bridges and structures open and safe. More information on this funding can be found in the Department for Transport's Roads Funding report:

Download the DfT Roads Funding Information Pack (418kb)

The funding was distributed to all local authorities responsible for highway maintenance in England (outside London) using a government funding formula. Through this process the council was awarded an additional £4.897m. The funding had to be spent by March 2019.

One of the conditions of this extra funding was that we published a statement on our website setting out how the money had been spent. This statement and a full list of sites and schemes delivered can be found here:

View repairs made to date

You can also download the full statement in PDF format:

Download the additional maintenance funding statement (98kb)

How does the council maintain the roads?

The council uses a range of techniques to repair and preserve its 2,200 miles of road network from repairing potholes and patch repairs, up to full reconstruction. One of the most effective preservation techniques is a process called surface dressing. We carry out our own programme of surface dressing each summer to treat and protect around 80 miles of roads across the network.