Street works

Information about working on the highway and licences and permits that may be needed, reporting issues, excavation in public land and highways charges.

Where can I find out information about road works or street works?

All road and street works in the East Riding are displayed on the one.network website:

one.network - Road/Street Works East Riding

Please note: there should always be a sign on-site showing who is doing the work, how long it is expected to take and who to ring in case of an emergency. 

What should I do if I need to excavate in the road, footpath or verge?

If you need to excavate on publicly-maintained land, for example to install a new water pipe or another utility service, you must have a license AND a permit. Publicly-maintained land includes highways, footpaths, verges and cycleways.

Find out about the licences required, and how to apply

Find out more about the East Riding Street Works Permit Scheme:

East Riding Street Works Permit Scheme

Does the council have a list of highway charges?

There are a number of fees and charges for a variety of highway items which are reviewed every year. The majority of these fees will be charged to developers, businesses and a small number are relevant for residents. 

They can include:

  • vehicular accesses
  • H-bar markings
  • skip and scaffold licences
  • street works permits or licences
  • traffic regulation orders
  • provision of information
  • stopping up orders
  • salt bin provision or refills. 

View all highway charges.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council. From culture and events, to help for households, get the latest news on services that matter to you.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy Notice.