Litter, spillages, debris and road cleaning

Reporting litter, spillages, mud and debris on the road which requires clearing, issues with litter bins and what action can be taken against litter offenders.

Can I request a new litter bin or ask for one to be moved or removed?

Due to the current economic climate, we have limited funds set aside for litter bins. The resources we do have available cover the maintenance of existing litter bins, therefore we will not consider new applications at this time.

You may instead wish to contact your local town or parish council, as they may have funds available to install new litter bins. Please note: this service is not offered by all town or parish councils.

Can all litter bins be used for dog waste?

Yes, all bins within the East Riding of Yorkshire can be used for the disposal of dog waste. Please be sure to bag the waste first.

How can I report someone for littering?

What action can be taken against people who litter?

We may be able to issue a fixed penalty notice, providing there is enough information to identify the person who dropped the litter. For this to happen, you will need to provide a witness statement and be prepared to give evidence in court if the fixed penalty is not paid by the offender.

If the case is taken to court, the offender can be fined up to £2,500 plus costs, as well as receiving a criminal record on conviction.

Fixed penalty notices can be issued to anyone over the age of 10, although the council will usually issue a warning letter to those 16 or younger for a first-time offence.

Read the full details on the government's Legislation website.

Can the council clean up dog waste?

We may be able to clean up dog waste in public areas, such as footpaths in a town centre or footpaths outside a school, where it could be a nuisance to pedestrians:

Ask for dog waste to be cleaned up

How often do you sweep the streets?

We aim to clean sweep every road in the East Riding at least four times a year, although busier roads will usually be cleaned more often.

Read more

Village Task Force

The village task force carries out a variety of street maintenance works within rural villages throughout the East Riding. This includes grass cutting, road sweeping, minor pothole repairs and painting of items such as litter bins and benches.

During the growing season the task force will visit a rural parish once every 15 days, or roughly every three weeks to carry out routine grass cutting work. Each village will also receive a walkabout every two years to help identify issues and draw up a schedule of works in conjunction with parish councils, which will be carried out before the end of the grass cutting season.

Can I report escaping waste from a skip or commercial waste bin?

Report escaping skip waste

Under Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 private households and businesses are required to take full responsibility for waste they import, produce, carry, keep, treat or dispose of. Full details of Section 34 of the Environmental protection Act 1990 can be found on the government's Legislation website.

Under Section 47 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 we may serve notice on a business requiring it to take steps to ensure waste does not cause a nuisance or to be detrimental to the amenity of the area. Full details of Section 47 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 can be found on the government's Legislation website.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News