Building insurance

Will you need building insurance for your East Riding of Yorkshire Council leasehold property, what the comprehensive buildings insurance policy is and how to get a refund on it when you sell your property.

Do I need building insurance for my east riding council leasehold property?

East Riding of Yorkshire Council has a legal obligation to provide building insurance for our leasehold properties, and do so through a ‘block’ policy that covers all council-owned property. This policy covers the risks of fire, lightning, explosion, storm and impact by aircraft. A proportion of the cost of this policy is recharged to you as part of the annual service charge.

If you have any queries regarding the policy please contact:

Tel: (01482) 396301

We do not currently provide home contents insurance for leaseholders, but would strongly recommend that leaseholders obtain their own contents insurance policy. This information only applies to council leasehold properties that were originally purchased under the right to buy scheme.

For information on other council leasehold properties please contact our valuations and estates team.

Tel: (01482) 393998

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News