Council tax

3.Online council tax account

On this page:

    Online council tax account

    Your online council tax account gives you 24/7 access to your council tax payment information.

    Problems registering

    To register, you need your 8 digit account reference number. It is located in the top right-hand corner of your council tax bill.

    If you do not have a council tax bill, email us at

    What you can do

    Using our new secure online council tax service, you can easily manage all aspects of your council tax account online.

    Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

    Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

    We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

    Find out more in our Privacy notice.

    Subscribe to East Riding News
    Once you are logged in, select the 'Switch to paperless billing' button
    Scroll to the 'Switch to paperless billing' section
    Complete the simple form to register for paperless billing

    View your council tax account

    Sign into your council tax account to:

    • view your up to date account information
    • check your balance, payments and bills
    • switch to paperless billing
    • update your contact details.

    Sign up or log into your online account

    Set up a Direct Debit payment

    Setting up a direct debit is a quick and easy way to pay your council tax. You will need your council tax account number together with your bank account details.

    Paying by Direct Debit - more information

    Sign up or log into your online account

    Paperless billing

    When you choose paperless billing you:

    • help to reduce paper waste
    • can view and easily access your council tax bills from a single place
    • have less clutter and physical paperwork
    • get a notification from us, by email, when you have a new council tax bill to view.

    You can use our online council tax portal to signup for paperless billing, once you've registered or logged in:

    Sign up or log into your online account

    You will need:

    • your council tax account number (from your paper bill).

    And two of the following:

    • your 8-digit council tax account number (from your paper bill)
    • your postcode
    • the last 3 digits of your bank account number, if you pay by Direct Debit.

    Change of address

    If you are an owner or a tenant, you can tell us that you have either moved in, moved out or have moved from one address to another within the East Riding.

    Sign up or log into your online account

    Apply for council tax reductions

    You may be entitled to a reduction in your council tax if you are the only occupier aged over 18 in your property, you are a student, or are severely mentally impaired.

    Council tax discounts, exemptions and reductions - more information

    Council tax band of a property

    Once you’ve logged in to your account you can check the council tax band of a property and the annual charge.

    Council tax banding and charges - more information

    Landlords - tenancy change notification

    If you are a landlord or agent you can tell us about a change in tenancy.

    Sign up or log into your online account