Appeal or challenge a council tax bill

You have the right of appeal If you think:

  • you should not be liable for council tax
  • that your property should be exempt
  • the amount charged is incorrect
  • that any council tax support is calculated incorrectly.

That right and the process is set out in legislation.

How to appeal

There's no special form to complete, you just need to contact us:


Tell us that you want to make an appeal and explain exactly why you think our decision is wrong.

Please note:

We sometimes get appeals, and withheld payments, based on popular misconceptions about who is liable for council tax. Be advised that you are legally responsible for paying council tax, except in very specific circumstances.

Misconceptions about council tax - more information

What happens next

We will consider your appeal and confirm our decision on your appeal. If you remain dissatisfied with our decision, you have a further right of appeal to an independent valuation tribunal within two months of being notified of our decision (or two months from your initial appeal, if no decision is made within that time).

Please note:

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment or part payment of council tax. If your appeal is successful any overpayment will be refunded.

Appeal process

If you make an appeal, we'll review the information and tell you our decision within 2 months. You must keep paying the amount on your bill until you hear from us. We will send you a new bill if the amount due changes.

Once we have made our decision of we don’t respond within 2 months, you can appeal to the Independant Valuation Tribunal (external website).

Banding reassessment

If your appeal is based on the council tax band you property has been assigned, you have the right to challenge the Valuation Office Agency (an executive agency of Her Majesty’s Revenues and Customs) directly:

Council tax banding reassessment - more information on GOV.UK

To view your current banding and charges:

Council tax banding and charges - more information

Challenge a council tax discount amount

You cannot appeal against the level of council tax discount the council has awarded. You can only challenge how the decision has been made, in court, by a legal procedure called Judicial Review.

You may need to seek specialist legal advice before proceeding with this.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News