Adaptations for disabled occupants

Explains what adaptations are, how to request an adaptation, how long they take and if you have to pay.

What are adaptations?

Adaptations are alterations to your home that can be installed to improve your safety and independence in everyday tasks.

Don't live in a council property?

The information on this page is for council tenants only. If you are a home-owner or rent privately, information on adaptations and equipment for your home can be found on Your life, your way - aids, equipment and and adaptations (external council website).

Home adaptations for council tenants

Home adaptations are divided into two categories, minor and major.

Minor adaptations are works that do not need any structural changes to your home including:

  • grab rails
  • stair rails
  • lever taps
  • level access thresholds
  • half steps to doors, and
  • flashing/vibrating doorbells/smoke alarms.

Major adaptations are works that do need structural changes to your home, including:

  • bathing facilities

  • stairlifts

  • ramps

  • adapting your home for wheelchair use, and

  • ground floor bedrooms.

They are carried out to council properties where required at the request of an occupational therapist, you may have to contribute to the cost of the work depending on your income.

You can apply for an occupational therapist assessment through any customer service centre or by telephoning (01482) 393939.

How do I request an adaptation to my council home?

If you are registered as disabled, you can request adaptations by contacting customer services;

Alternatively, visit your local customer service centre.

Not registered as disabled?

Find out how to on the registering as disabled page.

When you contact customer services, you will be asked what difficulties you are having and what would help you. A home visit can be arranged to discuss this in more detail if appropriate.

Your needs will then be assessed by a member of the occupational therapy team to decide which adaptations are suitable.

How long will it take to get an adaptation to my council home?

Minor adaptations are referred direct through to our housing maintenance unit by the occupational therapy team, and should be completed within 6 weeks from the start of the referral.

Major adaptations are referred to the area housing office who will first consider the suitability of your property. Should your home be deemed unsuitable for adaptation, e.g. a single person or couple in a family house, and there is more suitable accommodation available in the area, then the works would not be carried out but an offer to transfer to a suitable property would be made.

If your home is deemed unsuitable for adaptation but you wish to remain in your present property, you may have to finance part or all of the cost of the works yourself. You may qualify for a disabled facilities grant.

If the property is deemed to be suitable for adaptation, then you will need to complete a means test form; you may have to contribute to the cost of the works. The healthy homes team will issue instructions to the building facilities section. They will undertake surveys, prepare plans, then instruct and supervise contractors throughout the works. All major adaptations should be completed within 26 weeks from the occupational therapist referral.

We are responsible for repairs and maintenance of adaptations unless they have been provided through a disabled facilities grant - in this instance, the recipient is responsible for repairs and maintenance once the warranty has expired.

Will I have to pay for an adaptation to my council home?

Minor adaptations are carried out at no cost to disabled tenants or disabled members of their family.

Major adaptations are free of charge where the tenant is in receipt of certain means-tested benefits, tenants not in receipt of these benefits will be subject to the same means test as for a disabled facilities grant with any resultant contribution based on the individuals own financial circumstances.

If you have any queries with regard to charges for adaptations please contact your area housing office.


Telephone: (01482) 393939.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News
Get in touch