Getting involved

Information on how you can get involved in influencing the housing services (related to council housing and/or council leaseholders) in the East Riding.

How can I influence housing services in the East Riding?

Housing influence is about giving you the opportunity to have a say and get involved in the housing services (in relation to council housing and leasehold properties) you receive in the East Riding, and to enable you to influence the housing policies and practices that affect you. We want you to get involved at a level you feel happy with, from just being on a mailing list to receive housing information to being on one of our resident panels.

Our Housing Influence Structure allows this to happen in the following ways:

Housing Influence Panel

The role of the Housing Influence Panel is to make a clear connection between the experiences of involved residents and the insight into resident experience obtained by the Council through other means. It is a key component that enables us to pick up and act upon what our residents are experiencing. It ensures that all residents can be of involved with us to help shape our services.

Housing Scrutiny Panel

We recognise the three key principles of resident scrutiny - independence, formality and resident involvement. The role of the Housing Scrutiny Panel is to scrutinise areas of our housing service and provide independent reports on them, this will contribute to improved business performance, quality, and overall standard of housing services.

Working arrangements will be set out in its terms of reference and will be reviewed on an annual basis by both the panel and the council to ensure they remain fit for purpose.

Housing Review Panel

The role of such ad-hoc review panels will be to review our housing services, documents and policies. Copies of amended documents will be forwarded to the Housing Influence Panel and Housing Services Management team.

Tenant Inspectors

Tenant Inspectors work in conjunction with our Housing Maintenance Team and undertake void inspections across the county. Each maintenance area has a tenant who coordinates the inspections and liaises with the area office. Training is provided and some Inspectors also undertake New Tenancy Visits. Volunteer inspectors can choose to do void inspections, new tenancy visits or both.

Tenant Representatives

Tenant representatives are individual tenants who want to get more involved and influence the housing service that their community receives by representing the tenants in their area. They represent council residents within their village or street(s) usually where there is no existing residents group.

A tenant representative will identify issues or concerns, or pass on those that are brought to their attention, and report them to Housing Services so that action can be taken to improve the level and standard of service provided. Residents can feedback their actions by sending out information flyers or creating their own newsletter.

To become a Tenant Representative you need to obtain a number of signatures of support from residents within your area (10 signatures or 50 per cent of the area that you wish to represent, whichever is the lesser).

This then gives you permission to represent that particular village or street. The Housing Influence Team can assist with this procedure. You may also qualify for a grant towards a computer.

Informal Residents Groups

Informal residents groups consist of a number of residents coming together on a regular basis. They meet with officers of the council, perhaps to discuss a particular issue or give an opinion on something that is affecting them where they live. The meetings are generally facilitated by the Housing Influence Team.

The group is usually happy to stay as they are and don’t want the additional commitment of forming a tenants or residents association (setting up a committee, agreeing a constitution and to be accountable to those they represent). If you are interested in setting up a group please contact the Housing Influence Team for assistance.

Tenant/Residents Associations

Resident/Tenant Associations are formal bodies that are independent from the council and operate through their own Residents/Tenants Association Constitution which sets out their agreed rules and regulations. There are over 40 residents associations across the East Riding, and if there isn’t a group in your area and you are interested in setting one up or getting more involved then please contact the Housing Influence Team.

Grants are available to formal Residents/Tenants Associations to help pay for meeting room hire, stationery and so forth. They are based on the number of council properties the Association represents in their area. Grants for computers are also available to formerly constituted Resident/Tenants Associations.

If you would like to find out more about getting involved please contact the Housing Influence Team:

Email: or telephone: (01482) 396301.

Is there a Residents/Council Tenants Association in my area?

There are Residents/Tenants Associations on many of our estates, and in many of our towns and villages. The following list shows our current groups:

Residents Groups in the East Riding (pdf 130kb)

If you would like more information about joining a group or to find out when they are next meeting, please email your Area Housing Officer at or email the Housing Influence team at or telephone (01482) 396301.

What’s on in my community?

Events taking place where you live

Housing officers are out in our neighbourhoods all year round responding to customer enquiries, engaging with residents and proactively identifying areas for improvement.

Housing officers hold a range of planned events across the East Riding to engage with residents and allow opportunity for residents to influence their neighbourhood and have their say.

Events in your community may include:

  • Drop-in surgeries - These informal surgeries allow residents the opportunity to ’drop in’ to a local venue and speak to their local Housing Officer, regarding any housing or neighbourhood related matter.

  • Neighbourhood Walkabouts - Walkabouts give residents the opportunity to meet up with their local Housing Officer and accompany them as they walk around the neighbourhood. This provides an opportunity for issues to be identified and reported. It also allows residents to share their views on how the neighbourhood can be improved.

  • Resident Meetings - Resident meetings involve a group of local residents coming together. They meet with officers of the council, to discuss a particular issue or give an opinion on something that is affecting them where they live. The meetings are generally facilitated by the Local Housing Officer, and other council officers or external partners may be invited along where necessary. They can form actions for the council which helps ensure a proactive approach and positive change.

Such events are on pre-arranged dates and times, so you can plan your attendance.

To see what’s on in your community, please see on the documents below of scheduled events near you. More events will be scheduled in due course, so please check here regularly for updates.

Events are split across our 3 housing management teams:

  • North (Bridlington)
  • East (Beverley) and
  • West (Goole).

If you’re unsure which housing area you live in, please see attached boundaries map.

Housing Area Boundries Map (pdf 137kb)

West Area Events 2024 (pdf 165kb)

If you can't attend an event, such as an walkabout or meeting, you can still give your views using the contact details below. Should there not be an event in your area, you may also make a request to your local housing officer.

Please note: whilst we try our upmost to avoid cancelling or rescheduling any of these events, there may occasions where this this cannot be avoided. In the unlikely event that this occurs, this page will be updated at the earliest opportunity.

Contact us

To avoid disappointment you can confirm details of any event prior to attending, by contacting your local housing officer or housing influence officer on the details below:

To contact your local housing officer or housing influence officer by telephone call (01482) 396301.

To contact your local housing officer please email:

To contact your local housing influence officer please email:

How do the different housing influence panels and groups fit into the structure of the council?

Our Strategy and Delivery Plan shows how our engagement measures ensure our residents are able to contribute and influence the housing services they receive.

Resident Involvement Strategy and Delivery Plan (pdf 436kb)

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News