Sheltered and supported housing

Tells you what sheltered council housing and supported council housing is, what types of accommodation are available, where there they are and how to apply.

What is sheltered and supported council housing?

Sheltered council housing allows tenants to live independently, whilst having the added security of knowing that someone is available to help in an emergency 24-hours-a-day. 

There are sheltered schemes throughout the East Riding offering different services and with different facilities. Help is available 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week, 365-days-a-year by using the two-way internal intercom system in all sheltered properties. Residents of sheltered schemes may still need the help and support of friends and relatives, our Welfare Support Workers cannot replace this vital support.

The cost of the Lifeline service for sheltered and supported council housing is included in the rent for the property and is eligible for housing benefit.

Three levels of Lifeline service are available, and a charge is payable dependent on the level of service.  

Bronze - £8.78 per fortnight, this level of service requires that a tenant has a minimum of two emergency contacts within a 45 minute response time of their home.

Gold - £12.92 per fortnight, this level of service includes a response from the responder service in the event of an emergency.

WSW - £37.08 per fortnight, this level of service enables a tenant to have a visit on a daily basis 365 days of the year or an option of their choice.

Lifeline equipment  enables you to initiate a response in an emergency situation. An emergency situation can include contacting:

  • nominated contacts such as family, friends and neighbours
  • Lifeline responders
  • the emergency services such as fire, police and ambulance services.

An emergency situation can include:

  • a medical condition where support would be required
  • a fire, gas or flood
  • those living with dementia
  • a fall.

Tenants of sheltered and supported are automatically signed up to the Bronze level of service, they will then be visited by the Lifeline service when their tenancy has started to ensure that the level of service meets their needs. If it does not, they will have to upgrade to a suitable level of service which will incur a higher charge.  Lifeline service charges are eligible for housing benefit. Tenants that are not eligible for housing benefit must make sure that they can afford the charge for the appropriate level of service for their needs.

To find out more about the Lifeline service please contact us:

Email:  lifeline@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01482) 396040

If you are a pensioner or disabled we can help you look at the options for moving to more suitable accommodation. We can provide practical help when you move, and if you are in receipt of a means-tested benefit we can provide financial help towards the costs of moving.

To find out more about please contact us:

Email: housing.services@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01482) 393939

What types of sheltered and supported council housing are there, and where are they?

We have sheltered and supported bungalows and flats in towns and villages across the East Riding.

Supported housing schemes are located at:

Town Housing Scheme Property Type
Beverley Rita Hunt Court Flats
Bridlington Matson Court Flats
Brough Chariot House, The Oval Flats
Hornsea Meregarth Flats
Pocklington Wold Garth Bungalows

Sheltered housing schemes are located at: 

Town Housing Scheme Property Type
Anlaby Moat Hill Flats
Bridlington Chantry Court Flats
Beverley The Cloisters Flats and bungalows
Cottingham Southfield Court Flats and bungalows
Driffield Deira Court Flats and bungalows
Goole Ilkeston Avenue Flats and bungalows
Hessle Fenby Court Flats and bungalows
Hornsea Pybus Court Flats
Market Weighton Scotts Croft Bungalows
Preston Helms Avenue
Station Road
Marshall Avenue
Bungalows and flat
Pocklington Scaife Garth Flats and bungalows
Stamford Bridge Dales Walk
Kings Garth
Withernsea Kirkfield Road
The Close

For more information on sheltered or supported schemes please get in touch using the details below:

Email:  housing.services@eastriding.gov.uk 
Tel: (01482) 393939

How do I apply for sheltered or supported council housing?

If you want to apply for sheltered or supported housing you should apply to be on our housing waiting list. When you complete this form you should tell us that you need supported accommodation as a reason for applying. If you need to move due to a medical need or health reason, you should also include this as a reason for moving.

We will assess your transfer application and if you qualify, we'll send you a sheltered and supported accommodation form for you to complete and return to us.

Properties are allocated in accordance with our Council housing allocation policy and the Sheltered and supported housing local lettings policy which are available from the Renting a council house/home from the council page.

Applicants over 60 years-of-age (at the date of their tenancy starts) who do not have any children in their household, will be granted a secure lifetime tenancy for sheltered or supported accommodation, except where they have a financial interest in another permanent residence. In this instance, they will be granted a five-year secure flexible tenancy which will be reviewed when that property is sold.

If you are our tenant and pensioner or disabled we can provide practical help when you move, and if you are in receipt of a means-tested benefit we can provide financial help towards the costs of moving. 

To find out more about please:

Email:  housing.services@eastriding.gov.uk or 

Telephone: (01482) 393939.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.