Planned maintenance

What to do if you have had no gas service for over a year, how to set your central heating controller, what to do if your chimney needs sweeping and electrical checks for council homes.

I’m a council tenant and I haven’t had a gas service for over a year, what should I do?

In accordance with the gas safety regulations we have a legal requirement to service all council-owned gas appliances annually. This work must be carried out within twelve months of the last service. We also check all properties where tenants have installed their own appliances. Gas cookers are subject to a visual inspection only.

If you have either a council-owned gas fire or heating system or have fitted your own, please contact us immediately if the fitting or flue has not been serviced in the last twelve months and request a gas service online (opens in a new window). You could be putting yourself, and your neighbours, in danger.

How do I set the central heating controller in my council home?

Every new central heating system that we install is fitted with a programmable room thermostat. This device offers a number of pre-installed heating settings, which are simple to set up and use, to provide maximum comfort. Once programmed, you only need to adjust it by using the + / - and warm/cool buttons on the front of the unit.

The following pdf document provides more details on the central heating settings and how to adjust them.

Guide to the Programmable Room Thermostat (pdf 50kb)

I’m a council tenant and my chimney needs sweeping, what should I do?

We have a duty of care to service all council-owned solid fuel appliances on an annual basis. This includes sweeping chimneys and flues. This work is normally done on or around the anniversary of the last service. We also check properties where tenants have installed their own solid fuel appliances.

If your solid fuel appliance or flue has not been serviced in the last twelve months, please request a solid fuel service for your council home online (opens in new window).

Do you check the electrics to my council home?

We have a duty of care to test and inspect the fixed electrical wiring within your home. The frequency of this is usually dependent on the age and condition of the wiring and fittings in your home. We have made a commitment to carry out these works on a six year rolling programme, meaning that we should be checking your wiring once every six years.

Our nominated contractor will send you a letter approximately two weeks before they are due to be testing in your area.

If you have any problems in the meantime please contact housing services by telephone on (01482) 396301 or use the contact form to the right.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News