Welcome to former tenants and leaseholders of Your Housing Group

A welcome to all former tenants and leaseholders of Your Housing Group following the transfer of their home to the council.

As a landlord to just over 11,500 rented and leasehold properties we are well-positioned to manage your property and help you with any queries that you may have. 

This page will help you navigate quickly to areas where you might have a query about our services.

How can I pay my rent?

Direct Debit

The East Riding of Yorkshire Council offers 4 monthly payment options: 1st, 7th, 14th or 21st of the month.

You can pay your rent by Direct Debit.

Set up your council house Direct Debit online

To complete a Direct Debit instruction online you will need your rent reference from East Riding of Yorkshire Council. Your rent reference can be found in your notification letter which details your rent charge and when payments are due.

If you have not received this or have a query about your rent you can:

Email: rents@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01482) 393939


You can make a payment online whilst waiting for your Direct Debit to be set up by your bank.

Pay your council house rent online

Calling a Customer Service Centre

You can call in to one of our Customer Service Centres to pay your rent.

Find your nearest Customer Service and Multi-service Centre

Browse details about each of our 14 centres, including:

  • location
  • opening hours
  • facilities
  • contact details.

Please note: the information about paying rent refers to paying your rent as a tenant, not a leaseholder.

How do I report a repair?


How do I report a repair to my council home?

Call a Customer Service Centre

You can call in to one of our networks of Customer Service Centres.

Find your nearest Customer Service and Multi-service Centre

My weekly rent figure looks different to what I used to pay to YHG, why is this?

East Riding of Yorkshire Council charge their rents fortnightly over 48 weeks. The annual amount you pay will be the same as you paid to Your Housing Group but when broken down weekly the cost will look different because of the frequency.

For example, if your weekly rent is £85, that would be £85 x 52 weeks = £4,420 per annum (calculated when you were paying your rent with YHG).

When converted to 48 weeks, it becomes £92.08 a week, which is £92.08 x 48 weeks = £4,420 per annum (calculated when you pay your rent with the council).

In this example if you choose to pay your rent by monthly Direct Debit, the monthly charge will be £368.33 per calendar month.

Who do I contact about my shared ownership property?

Shared Ownership Housing is managed by the property officer in Asset Strategy.

Visit the Shared Ownership Policy page.

You can contact the Property Officer by:

Email: shared.ownership@eastriding.gov.uk
Tel: 07813 562274

I am in receipt of Housing Benefit who do I speak to about my claim?

Any existing claims will continue as they did when you were a tenant of Your Housing Group. You do not need to do anything as the council’s benefit department is aware that the change in landlord has taken place.

If you have having difficulty paying your rent please visit Housing benefit and council tax support.

I am in receipt of the housing element of Universal Credit to help pay my rent, do I need to notify the Department for Work and Pensions?

Please contact Universal Credit through your online journal to advise them that your landlord has changed without delay to prevent any overpayments occurring.

How do I apply for a mutual exchange?

You can arrange an exchange with another tenant of East Riding of Yorkshire Council, a secure tenant from another council or an assured tenant of a registered housing association or charitable housing trust as long as you have the landlords written agreement to do so.

Visit the Mutual house exchanges page.

Who do I speak to about Housing Management?

If you have any queries regarding your tenancy please contact your area housing office by:

Email: housing.services@eastriding.gov.uk
Tel: (01482) 393939.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News