Paying your rent

How to pay your council home or garage rent, what to do if you are having trouble paying, claiming housing benefit and what to do if you have lost your rent card:

Setting up a direct debit is the easiest way to pay your rent:

Set up your council house rent Direct Debit online (external East Riding website) 

How do I pay my council home or garage rent?

There are a number of different ways you can pay your council home & garage rent:

Direct Debit

This is the most convenient method of payment, and by choosing to pay by Direct Debit, you can choose to pay monthly on the 1st, 7th, 14th or 21st  of each month, or fortnightly on the second Monday of each rent fortnight.

Set up your council house or garage rent Direct Debit online (external East Riding website)

Please note: Some types of bank account cannot be used for Direct Debits. Your bank will be able to advise you.

If none of your details have changed (i.e. address, sort code, account number), your Direct Debit will remain active, so you do not need to resend us your bank details each year. 

If you previously paid your rent by Standing Order, you will need to cancel this with your bank.


You can pay online through our secure online payment facility:

Pay your council house or garage rent online (opens in new window)


You can pay your council house or garage rent 24 hours a day over the automated telephone system on 0300 330 1515 with one of the following cards:

Debit card - Visa Debit, Maestro, Solo, Visa Electron or Delta

Credit card - Visa or MasterCard

Payments can also be made via telephone for council tax, business rates and other council invoices.

Internet banking 

If you use internet banking or wish to set up a standing order, details of the council's bank account to which the payment should be sent are:

Sort code: 60-02-23

Account number: 99105837

Please remember to include your full council house rent number as your reference.

To set up a standing order, or to sign up for internet banking, please contact your bank.

Postal cheque or cash 

Should you wish to send a cheque, please make it payable to 'East Riding of Yorkshire Council' and post it to:

East Riding of Yorkshire Council 
PO Box 83
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9YR.

Please include your name, address, and council house or garage rent number on the reverse of your cheque.

Cash payments by post should be sent by using a 'special delivery' option that includes sufficient insurance to cover the cost of the item, i.e. the amount of cash posted.

The council does not accept any responsibility for cash sent by ordinary post.

Customer Service Centre 

Payments can be made debt or credit card, cash, cheque, or postal orders.

Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to 'East Riding of Yorkshire Council'.

Do not deposit cash in council office letterboxes, as the council cannot take responsibility for the money left in this way.

The council has 14 customer service centres located throughout the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Find your nearest customer service centre, location and opening times.

Self-service terminal 

The council has installed easy-to-use self-service terminals in the following customer service centres:

  • Haltemprice Leisure Centre 
  • Hessle Centre
  • Withernsea Centre
  • East Riding Petuaria Centre, Brough
  • East Riding Wicstun Centre, Market Weighton
  • East Riding Pocela Centre, Pocklington.

Self-service terminals will take cash and card payment of your council house or garage rent.

Please note: you will need to bring/remember your council house or garage rent number.

PayPoint (by cash only) 

You can now pay your rent in cash at any PayPoint outlet.

PayPoint outlets are typically shops, garages etc and are recognised by a logo displayed prominently on the front of the premises:

Find your nearest PayPoint outlet (external website)

Just take your rent card with you to your local PayPoint outlet, and they can take your cash payment using the bar code on the reverse of your rent card.

Please keep your receipt as proof of payment.

Payments take up to four working days to be credited to your council house rent account.

Please note: you can only pay by cash at a PayPoint outlet.

I’m a council tenant and am having trouble paying my rent, can I get help?

I am of working age

If you are working and on a low income, you can apply for help with your housing costs by claiming Universal Credit.

If you are in receipt of housing benefit or the housing costs element of Universal Credit and you still have a shortfall in your rent payments you may be able to claim further assistance through a discretionary housing payment.

I am of pension age

If you are having difficulty paying your rent, you should apply for housing benefit online (external website)

I’ve lost my council rent card, how do I get another one?

You can request a replacement council home rent card online.

Our billing and collection team provide a complete enquiry service for tenants in relation to the rent of council houses, rent arrears, and council garages.

Email: rents@eastriding.gov.uk 
Tel: (01482) 393939

They will be able to send you a replacement card. The team issue new, annual and replacement rent cards, annual rent increase letters and standing order forms.

Please note: the "replacement council home rent card" service is only available for current or former tenants relating to a council property located within the East Riding area. Requests for rent cards for properties not located within the East Riding area, will not be actioned.