Claiming a rent reduction

Find out information to see if you can reduce the amount of council house rent you have to pay.

I am on a low income can I get a reduction for my rent?

You may be eligible to claim Universal Credit. This is an in and out of work benefit available to households where the people are of working age and have a combined low income. This discount is means-tested, this means the Department for Work and Pensions look at the total income and the capital, such as bank accounts, bonds and shares and all the people living in your home.

Department for Work and Pensions - Universal Credit (external website)

For households of pension age, you can claim housing benefit. This is also means-tested in the same way as the working-age scheme.

Why does my rent keep changing when I am on Universal Credit?

Your Universal Credit is reviewed every 4 weeks and if you have had a change in your income or circumstances your universal credit changes. If we are getting your rent paid direct from the Department for Work and Pensions they will automatically tell us your new entitlement. If you have a shortfall between your rent charge and the universal credit payment made to the council you need to pay the difference..

I am struggling to pay my rent, can I apply for any additional help?

If you are not entitled to any reductions or are still in financial difficulties, there is support and advice available to ensure you are able to pay your rent.

You can find general financial support information on Financial support information for residents.

How does housing benefit or Universal Credit affect my rent?

If you are awarded housing benefit, we will automatically receive your weekly housing benefit award and reduce the rent you have to pay.

If you are receiving the housing element of Universal Credit, you will automatically receive the amount towards your rent in your monthly payment. You MUST pay your full rent from your Universal Credit.

If you fall into arrears of more than 8 weeks rent, we can request a direct payment of the housing element of your Universal Credit and a deduction towards any rent arrears you may have. You MUST then arrange to pay any shortfall between your rent and Universal Credit.

Why can't the council ring the Department for Work and Pensions about my rent?

The Department for Work and Pensions do not allow the council to call them about individual rent accounts due to data protection issues. All contact with the Department for Work and Pensions needs to be between you and them. In exceptional circumstances they will allow the council to speak to them, to do this you must update your journal giving ‘Explicit Consent’ for the council to speak with them.

If you need further information please contact your work coach through your universal credit journal.

Why can't you discuss my partner's/family member's account with me?

We can only discuss your rent account with persons who are not on your tenancy, if you have provided written authorisation or if they have power of attorney.

You can email this to us at

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News