What happens if you do not pay your rent

Find out why you may have received a reminder notice, notice seeking possession or eviction notice.

If you do not keep up payments on your council house rent, you may be at risk of losing your home. Please call us on (01482) 393939 if you are struggling with your payments.

What happens if I do not pay my rent?

If you do not pay your rent we will follow our recovery procedures and you are at risk of losing your tenancy and may incur additional costs.

We will send you recovery notices if your account is in arrears asking you to make contact with the rent team to make payment or a payment arrangement on your arrears.

I am not paying my rent due to financial struggles, what support can I access?

It is important you contact us as soon as you are facing financial difficulties and you are struggling to pay your rent. We want to help you and understand your situation. Early intervention is important if you are financially struggling.

Contact us on (01482) 393939 to inform us of your situation and find out what help we can provide.


MoneyHelper provides free, impartial and trusted money advice. They can help you gain general money knowledge; budgeting advice and debt management advise. These services may help your financial situation and help you to be able to pay your rent. It is important to ensure your income is maximised and you are claiming and accessing all the support you are entitled to.

MoneyHelper (external website)

Welfare Visiting Team

Our Welfare Visiting Team will carry out checks to ensure all benefits, grants and discounts you are entitled to are being claimed.

Please contact them for a free and confidential appointment on benefit.takeup@eastriding.gov.uk, we can discuss benefits assessment.

Find further information on the Welfare Visiting Team.

Why am I in arrears?

If you have missed a payment or your housing benefit or universal credit has been changed, this will increase the rent you need to pay. You will have received a letter from the council to advise you of your revised payments.

To stop further recovery action, you must bring your account up-to-date or make a payment arrangement.

Please contact us on (01482) 393939 to make an arrangement or email rents@eastriding.gov.uk, or you can bring your account up-to-date today.

Can I set up an arrangement on my rent?

We can help you set up a manageable payment plan to make sure you don’t fall behind with your rent.

Contact us on (01482) 393939 to set this up today.

Why did the council apply to the Department for Work and Pensions for my rent and/or arrears deductions to be paid directly from my Universal Credit to the council?

If your rent account is more than 8 weeks in arrears, we can apply to the Department for Work and Pensions to have the housing element of your Universal Credit payment and arrears deductions to be paid direct to the council.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News