A guide to the list of council and housing association properties

This page provides information about our list of council and housing association properties, which shows the location, type and amount of council and housing association properties in the East Riding of Yorkshire.

It does not show you properties that are currently available to let, but knowing the amount of social and affordable housing in each area can help you make more realistic choices when applying for housing.

The page also explains the different types of social housing and gives advice about how to contact other registered housing providers directly to increase your chances of being rehoused.

Information about the list of council and housing association properties

The list of council and housing association properties gives you information about the type and location of affordable homes owned and managed by the council, housing associations or by a charitable trust.

The homes listed are not currently available to let. However, you can use this information to help you decide which areas to consider when applying for housing.

Some homes are meant for specific groups, like older or younger people, and some have on-site support. This information will be shown on each listing.

Please note: housing stock figures will change over time as new properties are built and others are sold. The listings on the housing directory are updated regularly.

How to apply for housing

To apply for housing and find out how to register an application, you can visit our page about renting a home from the council. Please note that you will need to meet the eligibility criteria in order to join the waiting list and if successful, your application will be placed in a band according to your housing need.

Advice about applying for social housing

As part of your housing application, you should only apply for the areas where you’d actually like to live. Being open to different areas might improve your chances of getting a home, but it’s important to think about work, transportation, schools, and your support networks and social connections when deciding where to apply.

If you turn down three offers of council accommodation, your housing application will be put on hold for a year. This is part of the council’s allocations policy

Council housing association allocation policy (pdf 746 Kb).

Other housing providers, such as housing associations, may have similar policies.

How homes are allocated

The council allocates properties according to the council’s allocations policy:

Council housing association allocation policy (pdf 746 Kb).

Other providers of social housing may have their own criteria which will need to be met before they will allocate a property.

Usually, we provide homes that match the size of your household, and the length of your tenancy depends on your situation. Keep in mind that certain rural council properties built after 2010 follow a separate letting policy. You can learn more about this by reading the council’s local lettings policy for rural properties.

Types of social housing accommodation

There are different types of social housing accommodation available to meet specific needs. When using the housing directory to search for available homes, it will usually be stated what type of accommodation a property is.

General needs housing

General housing is allocated to households that do not have any specific support needs. It’s usually houses or flats meant for families or single people.

Housing for older people and disabled households

Homes for older people and those with disabilities are allocated to people who are 60+ years old, or to households with disabilities.

These homes may have special design features or modifications to make them more accessible for older or disabled residents.

This type of housing usually has specific eligibility requirements. You should contact the relevant landlord for more information.

Extra Care housing schemes

Extra Care and Community Wellbeing schemes provide independent living in a group setting. Care and support is available on-site and can be accessed 24/7. Residents can opt in and out of the service as their needs increase or decrease.

This type of housing usually has specific eligibility requirements. You should contact the relevant landlord for more information.

Supported housing

Supported housing is for people who require personal care and assistance with their daily tasks. The goal is to provide care and support either on-site, or through visits. Your need for care will be assessed by Adult care and Housing Services and will be subject to the local lettings policy:

Local lettings policy (pdf 89.3 Kb).

We recommend that you ask the relevant landlord about any specific scheme you are interested in, and check the eligibility requirements.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing provides homes in a group setting for people who can demonstrate that they would benefit from the on-site services and facilities at the scheme. There may be either on-site or visiting support.

Homes are mostly made available to occupants over a specified age (often over 55 years), but the landlord may accept someone 18 years or over if they would benefit from the services and facilities available. All lettings will be subject to the local lettings policy:

Local lettings policy (pdf 89.3 Kb).


The council will also make ‘nominations’ to housing associations for rented and low-cost home ownership properties, as well as to landlords in the private sector. A nomination is when we put names forward from the council’s housing waiting list to be considered for housing association properties. You can choose whether you wish to be nominated to housing associations when you complete your housing register application form.

You may also be able to apply directly to housing associations to be considered for their available properties.

Applying directly to other registered social housing providers

Some housing providers (such as housing associations) also keep their own waiting lists. To improve your chances of being rehoused, we recommend applying to both the council and directly to the relevant housing provider for information on their lettings procedure.

We have put together a list of contact details for social housing providers within the East Riding to assist you with this.

List of housing providers

The Abbeyfield Society

Hampton house
17-19 Hampton Lane
West Midlands
B91 2QJ

Accent Housing

Charleston House
Acorn Park Ind. Est.
West Yorkshire
BD17 7SW

Anchor Hanover

2 Godwin Street

Auxesia Homes

46 Park Place

Beverley Housing

Beverley Housing
22 Wilbert Lane
East Riding of Yorkshire

Beyond Housing

PO Box 138
NE24 9FL

Boothferry Housing Association

Boothferry Housing Association
1 Airmyn Road
Goole, DN14 6XA

  • Tel: 01405 768207

Broadacres Housing Association

Freepost RRBZ-TATA-BYHL Broadacres House
Mount View, Standard Way
North Yorkshire DL6 2YD


9-10 Commerce Park
Brunel Road
Theale RG7 4AB

East Yorkshire Housing Association

Grove Centre
78 Bessingby Road
Bridlington YO16 4SH

Hellens Residential

10 Teal Farm Way
Teal Farm Park,
Pattinson Ind. Est
Washington NE38 8BG

Housing and Care21

Tricorn House
51-53 Hagley Road
Birmingham B16 8TP

Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust

The Garth
White Rose Avenue
New Earswick
York YO32 4TZ

Pickering and Ferens Homes

Silvester House
The Maltings
Silvester Street
Hull HU1 3HA

Places for People

PO Box 2070
Preston PR5 9BY

Railway Housing Association

Bank Top House
Garbutt Square
Neasham Road
Darlington DL1 4DR

Riverside Housing Group

PO Box 2065
Liverpool L4 4YX

Sage Homes

5th Floor, Orion House,
5 Upper St.
Martin's Lane,
London, WC2H 9EA

Sanctuary Housing Association

Sanctuary Housing
160 Francis Street
East Yorkshire HU2 8DT

Sanctuary Supported Living

Sanctuary Housing
160 Francis Street
East Yorkshire HU2 8DT

St Andrew Housing Cooperative Ltd

13a St Andrew Street
Beverley HU17 0NS

  • Tel: 01482 882103

Thirteen Group

2 Hudson Quay Windward Way

The Pickering Almshouses

3 Victoria Avenue
HU18 1NH

  • Tel: 01964 534653

Together Housing Group

Harrison Street
West Yorkshire WF1 1PS

Wakefield and District Housing Ltd

Merefield House
Whistler Drive
WF10 5HX

YMCA Housing

Goole YMCA
Edinburgh Court
Edinburgh Street
Goole DN14 5EH

Yorkshire Housing

Dysons Chambers
12-14 Briggate
Leeds LS1 6ER

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News