Renting from a housing association

What is a housing association, how to apply, help with your rent and renting extra care sheltered housing.

What is a housing association?

Housing associations (often referred to as registered social landlords or RSLs) are non-profit making organisations that provide affordable housing in many areas of the country. They are controlled by management boards made up of volunteers, with a range of professional skills and local knowledge. They build new homes and improve existing properties, mainly for rent. They are regulated by the homes and communities agency under the housing act 1996. More information about the homes and communities agency can be obtained through their website.

Home and Communities Agency (external website)

Some housing associations specialise, for example, sheltered accommodation for the elderly, or supported accommodation for vulnerable groups. In the main, housing associations tenants have ‘assured’ tenancies, which are similar to secure tenancies given by local authorities.

How do I apply for a housing association property?

Demand for housing association properties tends to be high, just as it is for council properties. The list of council and housing association properties gives details of the type and locations of homes owned by both the council and housing associations. If you decide to apply for accommodation, you should check that your preferred type of accommodation exists in the areas that you wish to live.

Please also visit our guide to the list of council and housing association properties which gives advice on how to use this search to help you apply for housing and increase your chances of being rehoused.

Housing associations also rehouse people that we ‘nominate’ to them from our waiting list. If you wish to be considered you must be on our waiting list, and have ticked ‘Yes’ to question eight on the housing application form that asks if you wish to be considered for a housing association tenancy.

To obtain a housing application form you can:

The council allocates properties in accordance with its own housing allocation policy. Other providers of social housing may have their own extra criteria that you may have to meet before being allocated a property. Normally properties are only offered to suit your household size. The length of tenancy you are offered will depend on your circumstances.

Can I get help with the rent for a housing association property?

Our housing benefits section deals with claims for housing benefit from housing association tenants. You may be able to claim housing benefit if you:

  • are the tenant of a housing association property
  • live in the dwelling
  • are on a low income.

You can apply for housing benefit online or at any of our customer service centres.

To process a new claim, you must supply the benefits team with:

  • proof of your identity
  • your National Insurance number
  • details of your income, capital and savings.

If you have a partner, they will also need to supply the information above.

If you have any other adults in your home, they must supply proof of income.

Can I rent extra care housing from a housing association?

Yes, there are 2 housing schemes in Bridlington that offer self-contained flats for older people with care and support needs who wish to live independently. These are:

  • Portland Mews, owned by Hanover Housing, which is made up of 36 flats
  • Applegarth court, owned by housing 21, which is made up of 30 flats.

You can find out more about extra care housing on our East Riding Community and Care Services directory.

Qualifying residents

These properties are normally available to people who:

  • are aged 55 or over
  • have a local connection
  • have had a needs assessment and qualify for a care and support package
  • qualify to join the council's housing waiting list.

Extra care housing costs

Please contact the housing association directly to discuss costs.

The rent and service charge for these properties are eligible for housing benefit. There is an additional care charge.

You can find contact details for these properties on our Community and Care Services Directory.

How to apply

There are two ways that you can apply:

Contact the housing association directly

You can find contact details for these housing associations on our East Riding Community and Care directory.

Ask us to nominate you for one of these properties

We can nominate you for 1 of these properties. You’ll need to complete a housing application.

To request a housing application form contact us by either:

You must make sure that you answer yes to question 8 on the form. This is the question that asks if you wish to be nominated for a housing association tenancy. If you have a medical need to move you may get medical priority.

Please note: extra care housing is also available at Rita Hunt Court in Beverley. This is a council owned housing scheme. You can find out more about Rita Hunt Court on our Community and Care Services Directory.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News