Financial support information for residents

Find out about financial help available to for residents. We want to tell you about help available to residents, which could ease some financial pressures.

What financial help are you eligible to?

The best way to find out is to use the council’s online benefit calculator:

Benefits calculator

If you need support to make an application, call us on (01482) 393939.

What is the new Household Support Fund?

Information about the Household Support Fund has moved to a new page:

Read about the Household Support Fund and how to apply

Are you having difficulty in paying your rent or council tax?

The first thing you need to do is let us know so we can help you, call us on (01482) 393939.

We have a dedicated Welfare Team who can help with even the most complex situations, who can make sure you are receiving all of your entitlements. 

To speak to one of our advisors email benefit.takeup@eastriding.gov.uk and ask for an appointment.

Council Tax Reductions

There are many discounts and exemptions that can be applied to Council Tax. To find out if they are entitled to a discount or exemption on council tax visit:

East Riding Council Tax

I am struggling to pay rent, can I apply for any additional help?

If you are not entitled to any reductions or are still in financial difficulties, there is support and advice available to ensure you are able to pay your rent. You can find general financial support information in the Financial support information for residents page. 

It is important that you contact us with any problems and changes of circumstances that will affect your ability to pay your rent. Try to get in contact as soon as problems arise so we can provide some support. You can ring us on (01482) 393939.

What happens if you do not pay your rent?

I am not paying my rent due to financial struggles, what support can I access?

It is important you contact us as soon as you are facing financial difficulties and you are struggling to pay your rent. We want to help you and understand your situation. Early intervention is important if you are financially struggling.

Contact us on (01482) 393939 to inform us of your situation and find out what help we can provide.


MoneyHelper provides free, impartial and trusted money advice. They can help you gain general money knowledge; budgeting advice and debt management advise. These services may help your financial situation and help you to be able to pay your rent. It is important to ensure your income is maximised and you are claiming and accessing all the support you are entitled to.

MoneyHelper (external website)

Welfare Visiting Team

Our Welfare Visiting Team will carry out checks to ensure all benefits, grants and discounts you are entitled to are being claimed.

Please contact them for a free and confidential appointment on benefit.takeup@eastriding.gov.uk, we can discuss benefits assessment.

Find further information on the Welfare Visiting Team.

Can I get help with rent and council tax?

Residents might be entitled to help towards rent and council tax if they are on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings.

For more details go to the Benefits section if you need support to make an application, or call us on (01482) 393939.

Where can I get emergency assistance - help with food and utilities?

The council’s emergency assistance scheme can help residents with food and gas/electricity and other essential items.

For more information go to Emergency assistance.

What is the Warm Homes Discount Scheme?

If you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or you are on a low income, you could get a one-off payment of £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2021 to 2022.

To find out more and how to apply visit:

GOV.UK - Warm Home Discount Scheme (external website)

Please note: this is not the council’s scheme.

Where can I get help with my debts?

In cases where there is a large degree of indebtedness and/or multiple debts more than what is owed to the council, cases are referred to specialist debt advice providers. We hope the help of specialist debt advice leads to lasting and positive outcomes for those in problem debt. 

Citizens Advice provides comprehensive information on help with debt. They also have specialist debt advisors who can provide free, specialist debt advice. Find out more and their local contact information below:

Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice (external website)

Step Change also provide free, expert debt advice which will be tailored to your situation. Find more information on their debt advice here: 

Step Change - Debt advice (external website)

You can self-refer to Money Helper’s Money Advisor Network. Their network allows you to access free, confidential and independent debt advice straight away. Find further information and a self-referral to the Money Advice Network here:

Money Advice Network (external website)

Can I get free school meals?

Many families with children at school will be entitled to free school meals for their children. 

For more information and how to apply visit Free school meals.

Can I get help paying water bills?

WaterSure is a scheme which helps some people with their water bills, but they must be on benefits and need to use a lot of water either for medical reasons or because their household  has a certain number of school-age children.

To find out more visit your water supplier's website.

Please note: this is not the council’s scheme.

I am on Universal Credit and experiencing Financial Hardship, is there help available? 

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit, there is the possibility of receiving a hardship payment. You can ask for a hardship payment if you cannot pay for rent, heating, food or hygiene needs because you are sanctioned. You’ll repay it through your Universal Credit payments - they’ll be lower until you pay it back. Contact the Universal Credit Helpline for assistance:

Universal Credit Helpline (external website)

If you’re experiencing financial hardship, unable to pay rent or buy food, while waiting for your first Universal Credit payment, you can apply for an advance payment. You will need to pay back your advance a bit at a time from your future Universal Credit payments, or by other means if you no longer get Universal Credit, for example, from your wages or other benefit you may be getting.

Further guidance on eligibility and applications can be found here:

Universal Credit advances (external website)

How can Universal Credit help me?

Universal Credit is a payment to help with living costs. It is paid monthly. For more information and how to apply visit:

Universal Credit (external website)

What tools are available to help me budget? 

A vital step of improving your money management is creating a personal budget. We have a user-friendly budget planner that is free to use and should only take minutes to complete if you have all your financial information to hand.

Begin to plan your budget here using the East Riding Budgeting Tool (external council website)

Where can I access affordable credit?

HEY Credit Union, can provide East Yorkshire residents access to not-for-profit credit union services including affordable credit options. Find further information on their affordable credit here:

HEY Credit Union (external website)

Alternatively, HEY Credit Union have walk-in branches in six locations across the East Riding (Bridlington, Goole, Withernsea, Driffield, Beverley and Hull City centre) or you can call (01482) 778753. 

Where can I get independent financial help?

There are a range of free, independent, financial advice providers, who will give you guidance and support independent from the council. 

You can self-refer to MoneyHelper’s Money Advisor Network. Their network allows you to access free, confidential, and independent debt advice straight away. Find further information and a self-referral to the Money Advice Network here.

Citizens Advice provides comprehensive information on Help with Debt. They also have specialist debt advisors who can provide free, specialist debt advice. Find out more and get their local contact information on the Citizens Advice website

Step Change also provide free, expert debt advice which will be tailored to your situation. Find more information on their debt advice on the Step Change website.

You can also find further general information  on independent financial advice on our Welfare Visiting Team page.

Where can I find support and advice about my pension?

Pension Wise is a government service from Money Helper that offers free, impartial pensions guidance about your defined contribution pension options. An appointment with Pension Wise is free and will help you understand what your overall financial situation will be when you retire.

Find more information and how to book an appointment with Pension Wise (external website). 

Money Helper also provide many different guides for different stages and circumstances, from when you’re just starting to think about your retirement, to have been retired for some time they have support and advice available. 

Money Helper (external website)

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.