Household Support Fund

The Government has made an extra £842 million of additional funding available to help the most vulnerable across England, totalling over £2 billion of funding allocated to Local Authorities over the past 18 months.

GOV.UK - Cost of Living Support

Find out what support is available to help with the cost of living: income and disability benefits, bills and allowances, childcare, housing and travel.

GOV.UK - Cost of Living Support

About the Household Support Fund (HSF)

The Household Support Fund is provided by the Department for Work and Pensions to support those most in need. This fund can be used to help households with children, households with pensioners and other households, with the cost of:

  • food
  • energy and water needs
  • essentials linked to energy and water
  • wider essentials, where appropriate, such as housing costs and other essential bills.

Monies from the fund can be used to help different people on low incomes, depending on their eligibility.

Automatic support payments

Support is now available from December 2023 to March 2024.

Who can apply

You will be eligible for one payment, which will be made automatically, if you are in receipt of council tax support and:

  • your property has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E, F, or G, and a member of your household is disabled, or
  • you or your partner are aged between 18-24 and you are responsible for paying council tax.

How much will I receive?

Eligible households will receive a payment of £350 by the end of January 2024.

Apply for support payments

The latest round of funding has now ended and applications are no longer being accepted.

Healthy Homes

The Healthy Homes scheme can provide money to help toward the cost of repair, or replacement, of your household’s heating system. The scheme is available for both owner occupiers, and private tenants who are responsible for repairing the property’s heating system. Households must be in receipt of a benefit (as listed below) and with a household member suffering from a long-term health condition.

Who can apply

You may be eligible for a Healthy Homes payment if someone in your household has a long-term health condition which is made worse by the cold or damp, and you are in receipt of any of the following benefits:

  • pension credit (guarantee)
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax or Child Tax Credit with a total household income less than £30,000

How to apply

To apply you can:

You may need to provide evidence of your income and the health condition that affects the member of your household.

How the scheme works

The council will get quotes from contractors for the required work, which can't start until everything has been approved and agreed. Payments can't be made for any work done before this, or for any work done by a non-approved contractor. Once the council appointed contractor has completed the work, to the required standard, they will be paid directly.

Free school meals

If you get free school meals for your child(ren), your school will provide you with a supermarket voucher for each of the school holidays.

Food banks

Food banks work with the local authority and other services, such as Citizens Advice, health services, or community charities, to provide food parcels for those most in need, in exchange for issued vouchers. Each food parcel contains a minimum of 3 days' worth of tinned and dried food.

Your local Children's Centre can help you access a food bank service:

Find your local Children's Centre

You can find your nearest food bank using the East Riding Food Poverty Alliance (ERFPA) map:

Find your nearest food bank on the ERFPA website

Previous spend on Household Support Fund schemes

The council needs to publish our previous spend for the three previous Household Support Fund schemes. You can access the spending figures on the Excel spreadsheet below:

Household Support Fund Spending - July 2023 (excel 36kb)

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News

The Household Support Fund aims to help vulnerable households in the East Riding with the rising cost of heating oil. The grants, available through the Humber & Wolds Rural Action (HWRA) website, will support eligible low income households.

Please note that this fund is only available to East Riding residents.

To find out if you are eligible, and to apply for a grant: