Reconsiderations and appeals

What to do if you do not agree with a decision that we have made about your housing benefit, Council Tax support or Council Tax discretionary reduction.

What can I do if I think the wrong decision has been made?

If you think the decision we have made is wrong, you can ask us to reconsider. Let us know within one month of the date of the notification letter. We will look at the claim again and if:

  • the decision is wrong, we will change it
  • we cannot change the decision, we will tell you why.

Are there any decisions that cannot be disputed?

There are certain decisions that cannot be changed:

  • the local housing allowance (LHA) rate set by the Valuation Office
  • the broad rental market area (BRMA) that your home is in.

A landlord or agent can only dispute a decision about:

  • who payment of housing benefit should go to
  • whether an overpayment can be recovered from the landlord or agent.

What can I do if I still don't agree with your decision?

The appeal process is different for housing benefit, Council Tax support and council tax discretionary reduction.

Housing benefit

You must appeal within one month of us reconsidering the decision, by completing our online form. The appeal will then be heard by an independent tribunal service.

Council Tax support or Council Tax discretionary reduction

We will tell you of the next course of action available if you disagree with the appeal decision.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News