Welfare Visiting team

COVID-19 Service Information 

Welfare support service 

The safety of the customers/tenants, families and staff are paramount and the council has been working hard to maintain service delivery as well as planning for future service delivery as the situation evolves. 

The council has been following changes in government guidance in relation to social distancing and ensuring that customers/tenants and staff who are aged 70 or over or under 70 with an underlying health condition are supported to remain safely at home where possible. 

The Welfare Support Service offer has been reducing since early November in accordance with the guidance, demand for service and availability of staff. 

The council is also looking at how it can make best use of staff to support customers and deliver a service to all tenants. It would also like to provide reassurance that contact will continue to be maintained and this may be on a reduced level of visits, but where this is the case, contact will be provided on other days via a telephone call. 

These measures are being put in place to help the council to safeguard customers, families and staff and thanks the residents in advance for their support and patience at this time.

How can the Welfare Visiting team help me?

The Welfare Visiting team are available to help any resident in the East Riding who are struggling with rent and/or council tax payments or repaying overpaid housing benefit.

We can negotiate affordable repayment rates and offer debt and budgeting advice. The team also carry out benefit checks to maximise your income, assist in claiming housing benefit and /or council tax support and also ensure you are receiving all the discounts you are entitled to on your council tax.

Usually we offer a home visiting service or we can arrange an appointment at your local customer service centre, however due to the current pandemic conditions our preferred method of contact is by telephone or e-mail.

How do I contact the Welfare Visiting team?

To contact the Welfare Visiting team please send an enquiry online: 

Send an enquiry online to the Welfare Visiting team  

How do I open a bank account?

Basic bank accounts are offered by all high street banks and everyone is entitled to one. However only Barclays and Co-operative offer specialist accounts if you are an undischarged bankrupt. Credit Unions also offer a banking service. 

Barclays basic current account (external website)

Credit Union website (external website)

Virgin money essential current account (external website)

What are priority debts and what are non-priority debts?

Priority debts are your most important debts - ones which cover your essential costs of living. 

Such essential costs include:

  • mortgage or rent
  • secured loans
  • council tax
  • gas, water and electricity
  • court fines
  • child maintenance. 

Non-priority debts include items such as satellite television, mobile phones and store cards.

I cannot afford to pay my council tax/rent, what can I do?

You should contact the Welfare Visiting Team for confidential advice and continue to pay as much towards your council tax/rent as you can until a visit or appointment can be arranged.  

I don't feel that I am able to accept my housing benefit payments and would like them to go directly to my landlord?

You should contact the Welfare Visiting team who may be able to offer you help and support with accepting and managing your own payments or may be able to arrange for your payments to be sent directly to your landlord.

I have found myself in debt, what can I do?

If you are struggling to meet repayments on credit cards or loans, then this could have an adverse effect on your income and your ability to pay other debts, such as your rent or council tax.  

If this is the case and you are worried that you will not be able to pay these, please contact either the Welfare Visiting team, or Citizens Advice Bureau. 

If you want help with budgeting, use our free budgeting tool.

Budgeting tool (external website)

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) 

The service is always free, confidential and impartial, and no charges are made, unlike many debt management companies. The Citizens Advice Bureau have been providing advice since 1939 and is an integral and trusted part of the East Riding communities. 

A budgeting tool to help you with your finances is also available on the citizens' advice website:

Citizens Advice Budgeting tool (external website) 

You can contact the CAB network on 0800 1448848 or drop into one of their offices at:

100 Lairgate 
East Riding of Yorkshire 
HU17 0NP 

Advice sessions are available: 
Tuesday 10am - 4pm 
Friday 10am - 4pm 

5a Prospect Arcade 
East Riding of Yorkshire 
YO15 2AL 

Advice sessions are available:
Tuesday 9am - 4pm
Wednesday 9am - 4pm
Thursday 9am - 4pm

80 Pasture Road 
East Riding of Yorkshire 
DN14 6HE 

Advice sessions are available: 
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Telephone advice times 

Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm

Please visit the Citizens Access Bureau website for further at reach locations.

What other organisations can provide financial advice? 

There are a number of organisations who can provide free useful advice and information for people who are experiencing financial problems:


Stepchange is a charity that provides free, independent and realistic debt advice and support.

Stepchange (external website)  

National Debtline

National Debtline is a debt charity run by the money advice trust. They offer free and confidential debt advice.

National Debtline (external website)

Council tax and rent recovery

The recovery section collects council tax and council rent for East Riding of Yorkshire Council. You can contact them on (01482) 393939.

Credit Union

The Credit Union can help with basic bank accounts, give access to low-cost loans and offer easy ways to start saving. You can contact them by telephone (01482) 778753 or visit their website.

Credit Union - loans (external website)

Directgov website

This government website offers detailed and wide-ranging information and advice on claiming benefits, job searching, further education, pensions and retirement planning, voting and much more.

Directgov website - money, tax and benefits (external website)

Financial services authority

The financial services authority is the regulator of financial services in the UK, they set the standards that firms must meet and take action against those that fail to meet the required standards.

The financial services authority (external website) 

Housing benefit and council tax support section

The housing benefit and council tax support section administer claims for both housing benefit and council tax support. 

They also process free school meal and clothing grant claim requests. For more information please visit the housing benefit web pages and choose the appropriate question. 

Other available benefits (opens in new window)

Money advice service

The money advice service provides free, clear and unbiased advice to help you manage your money. 

Money advice service - your money (external website)

Tax credits

Universal Credit is replacing tax credits. Visit GOV.UK to apply for Universal Credit (external website)

Can I request a hold on recovery action and additional fees?

Read about the new, statutory scheme called ‘Breathing Space’ which is designed to provide people with debt problems the right to legal protection from creditors for a limited period of time.

I need help with budgeting, can you help?

We understand that some customers may need help with their monthly/weekly budgeting.

Our budgeting tool will help you create your own personal budget plan to assist with taking control of your finances.

By using our budgeting tool you can get recommendations for:

  • how you can reduce your expenses
  • how you can maximise your income
  • how to pay off your debts
  • how to save for a rainy day.

Budgeting tool (external website)

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.