Alternative provision

What alternative learning provision is, what types of alternative provision exist in the East Riding, educating your child at home, who are the alternative provision providers, what help or materials are available to educate your child at home and any helpful tips.

What is alternative learning provision?

Local Authority Alternative Provision (LAAp) provides learning opportunities which are an alternative to mainstream school for Key Stage 4 pupils (14-16 year olds).

Pupils who are eligible for a LAAp are those who are: permanently excluded, in danger of permanent exclusion, have significant attendance issues or are vulnerable learners who have transferred into Key Stage 4 from another Local Authority.

The main objective of LAAp is to re-engage young people in the learning process by placing them in a variety of settings throughout the East Riding and the City of Hull, working with partner agencies to support them into further education, training and the world of work.

What types of alternative provision exist for East Riding residents outside of mainstream schools?

There is a range of different alternative provision available for East Riding Residents of school-age or older, if the learner has special needs.

There are always limited numbers of places available and there is always a formal process for deciding in partnership with parents and carers which is the most appropriate provision for learners.

 The alternative provision includes:

  • special schools- 3 in the East Riding of Yorkshire;
  • pupil referral units (PRUs) - 2 in the East Riding;
  • independent specialist providers - in the East Riding and out of county- these might be for visual impairment, hearing impairment, behavioural or developmental reasons;
  • alternative learning units in schools;
  • and an alternative learning unit run by the council.

Can I educate my child at home?

As a parent you have a legal responsibility to make sure that your child receives an education. Most children in the East Riding attend their local school, but for various reasons a small number of parents decide to take on the responsibility to educate their child outside the school system.

Parents who decide to educate their children at home must be able to show the local authority that the programme of work is helping each child to develop according to his or her age, ability, aptitude and any special needs he or she may have.

The length of time that is considered to be full time education is not specified, but full time education in school means that children spend between 23 and 25 hours on work of some kind each week plus homework. Children attending state schools attend for 38 weeks a year.

Who are the alternative provision providers in the East Riding?

There are alternative education providers within the East Riding of Yorkshire if you wish to educate your child outside the traditional school system.  Download the list of alternate providers below.

Alternative Provision Providers (pdf 43kb opens in a new window)

What help or materials are there that will help me educate my child at home?

There are a number of websites where you will be able to find a wide range of materials to help you plan and deliver your child's education.  You can find out more information and a list of sites by downloading the sheet below.

Elective Home Education Resources Information Sheet (pdf 112kb opens in a new window)

Are there any helpful tips for successfully educating my child at home?

 Yes, there are a number of things that you can do:

  • Try to see that the learning process is as active, practical and participative as possible and systematically planned;
  • Try to take full advantage of the resources around you;
  • Give great importance to reading in your programme;
  • Have a programme of educational visits and broadcasts planned;
  • Make sure that they are prepared in advance and followed up afterwards.

 There are a number of websites where you will be able to find a wide range of materials to help you plan and deliver your child's education.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.