Pupil Referral Units

Can my child go to a Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) or a Short Stay School, and the proposals for PRUs.

Can my child go to a PRU or Short Stay School?

A PRU (Pupil Referral Unit) is the same as a Short Stay School. It is a temporary school placement for pupils between 11 and 14 who are having difficulties coping in mainstream school.

Pupils would normally attend for one or two terms, on a part-time basis, with part of the week spent in their mainstream school. After one or two terms, pupils would usually return full-time to their mainstream school, with support from the PRU staff.

A pupil that may need to go to a PRU or Short Stay School will be invited to attend by their mainstream school, together with support services (advisory teacher or educational psychologist).

The possibility of attending will always be discussed thoroughly with parents/carers and pupil, so that they take part in making the decision about whether PRU placement is appropriate.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News