Between Wednesday 4 November and Wednesday 16 December, the council consulted on the admission arrangements for community and voluntary-controlled schools for the 2022-23 school year. At its meeting on 2 February 2021, East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s cabinet determined the local authority’s admission arrangements and coordinated schemes for 2022/2023.
The vast majority of the admission arrangements for 2022-23 are procedurally identical to those for previous years. There have been some minor drafting and technical changes, mainly to improve the level of clarity and guidance in these arrangements or capture current practice, including following feedback from schools and parent/carers who have previously been through the admissions process. This year we have included more details on 'in-year admissions' separate from the main policy documents on admission to the first year of a school. In-year admissions are those to start other than at the start of the first year of a school, or part way through the first year.
Other changes include updating definitions due to changes in other laws and regulations that have or are due to take place shortly, for example new guidance on the admission of children who were previously in care outside England recently published by the Department for Education.
There were some changes to the Published Admission Numbers (PANs) of schools that were proposed either by the council and/or by the governing bodies of community and voluntary controlled schools.
These changes are:
- Acre Heads Primary School, Anlaby – from a PAN of 50 to 60 for Reception
- Anlaby Primary School – from a PAN of 50 to 60 for Reception
- Bempton Primary School – from a PAN of 12 to 15 for Reception
- Beverley Minster CE VC Primary School – from a PAN of 60 to 30 for Reception
- Burlington Junior School, Bridlington – from a PAN of 90 to 80 for Year 3
- Garton-on-the-Wolds CE VC Primary School – from a PAN of 8 to 15 for Reception
- Hallgate Primary School, Cottingham – from a PAN of 40 to 45 for Reception
- Kingsway Primary School, Goole – from a PAN of 50 to 60 for Reception
- Pocklington CE VC Infant School – from a PAN of 90 to 60 for Reception
- Roos CE VC Primary School – from a PAN of 14 to 15 for Reception
- South Cave CE VC Primary School – from a PAN of 60 to 30 for Reception
- Thorngumbald Primary School – from a PAN of 40 to 30 for Reception
- Walkington Primary School – from a PAN of 40 to 30 for Reception
- Woodmansey CE VC Primary School – from a PAN of 7 to 15 for Reception.
The Summary of Key Changes document included the rationale for these proposed changes. All of these changes were approved.
Each year the council also has to update its policies about how admissions applications are processed between schools and other local authorities. These documents are known as ‘coordinated admissions schemes.
The arrangements can be seen by clicking on the links below.
Please note: that the admission arrangements for academy, foundation and voluntary aided schools were not included within this consultation and that those admission authorities may or may not have consulted on their admission arrangements for the 2022-23 school year.