Using the archives service

Book archive services, reader’s tickets, using the research room, copies, charges, viewing closed documents, archive research service, talks or tours and other archive facilities.

Do I need to book to visit the archives?

You can simply drop-in to the research room at the Treasure House in Beverley.  However, to ensure that you have a seat and avoid disappointment, we do suggest that you book. You can use our online catalogue to find what you want to look at and then order documents and request an appointment by completing the archives service request form (opens in a new window)

Many of our parish registers  are now available online at Findmypast.com (external website) and many newspapers are online at The British Newspaper Archive (external website) .  Both of these websites can be viewed free of charge in the research room . 

However, you can still view these on a microfiche/microfilm viewer, which you can book by completing the archives service request form (opens in a new window).

Do I need a readers ticket?

You will need a readers ticket to look at documents and rare books, however you do not need a reader’s ticket to look at microfilm or microfiche, computers or books on the open shelves

We belong to the County Archive Research Network (CARN) readers ticket scheme. You have to visit to be issued a readers ticket.

What is the CARN reader's ticket scheme?

The CARN reader's ticket scheme is a group of record offices that have joined together to provide readers tickets for local archive offices. A CARN reader's ticket can be used at over 50 archive offices and is valid for 4 years.

The following document provides a full list of the offices that accept the CARN reader's ticket.

List of offices where CARN reader's ticket is accepted (pdf 43kb opens in new window)

We use a reader's ticket to ensure adequate security for the documents we look after.

How can I get one?

We can issue you with a CARN ticket in our research room when you arrive.

You will need to show us proof of your identity, including your name, current address and signature. You can use different documents to prove this, for example a utility bill for your address or a bank card for your signature.

How does it work?

When you come to the research room to look at archives, you will be asked to give up your CARN ticket to a member of staff. Your ticket will be kept at the enquiries desk whilst you are working.

Documents issued to you must be returned to a member of staff who will check that they have been returned. Your CARN ticket will be handed back when all documents issued to you have been returned and checked back by a member of staff.

How do I use your research room?

The research room is where you can see the archives and local studies collections. It is in the Treasure House building in Beverley. We look after valuable and irreplaceable documents and books. This means that there are some things we expect from you to help us look after our collections.

What you can expect

  • There are microfilm and microfiche viewers for looking at collections such as church registers and newspapers that are available on film and fiche. You should book a reader before you visit.
  • There are books from the local studies collection and family and local history reference books on the open shelves that you can use.
  • There are public access computers where you can search the internet or our own online catalogue, you also can print from these computers.
  • There is a public access photocopier for copying from books on the open shelves.
  • There is a self service printer for copying from microfilm and microfiche.
  • There is a room for using film, sound and digital archives.
  • There is an interview room for private conversations.
  • You can use your own laptop if it is run from the battery or if it has been tested by an electrician. We regret that we cannot let you plug untested laptops into a socket for health and safety reasons.
  • You can use a camera in the research room. There is a charge for using a camera in the research room, but no limit to the number of images you can take.
  • You can order documents by completing the archives service request form (opens in a new window).This way we can have your documents waiting for you when you arrive. You can use our online catalogue to find what you want to look at.

What we ask you to do

We have to be sure that our collections are secure and looked after carefully. Many of the documents, books and objects are old and fragile. We take great care of the things we look after and ask you to do the same.

We ask for your help in this by doing the following things:

  • Please leave your coats and bags in the lockers provided. We ask you to do this to help us reduce the risk of theft. Locker keys are available from the research room desk.
  • Please take the time to read the research room rules:

Research room rules (pdf 215kb opens in new window)

  • Please only use pencils when you make your notes. We ask you to do this so that documents and books do not get marked or damaged.
  • Please make sure that your mobile phone is switched off.
  • Please respect other users who need to work in a quiet area.
  • Please do not bring food or drink into the research room because they can damage archives. There is a cafe in the Treasure House.
  • If you are looking at archive, rare printed books or museum objects you will need a CARN readers ticket. Read more about how you can get a reader's ticket.
  • We also ask you to sign a visitors book as we like to know who is looking at the collections.
  • Please handle all documents with care. Do feel free to ask staff for help if you are not sure how to handle an item.

Can I get copies?

We offer a number of ways in which you can get copies from books and documents for a small charge. Sometimes we cannot make copies because documents are too fragile. There may sometimes be copyright restrictions also.

  • You can get copies from microfilm and microfiche from the self-service printer in the research room.
  • You can copy books on the open shelves on the public access photocopier in the research room.
  • Some of our archives and older books can be copied for you because our staff are trained in handling them. We look after our collections carefully and will not copy them if they are fragile or  if copying could damage them. We can also scan documents for you.
  • You can get copies from the Register of Deeds. These copies can be certified if you need them for legal reasons. This means that they are stamped and signed as being a true copy.
  • The copying we do must not break copyright law. You are allowed one copy of an item for your own research. You will need to fill in an order and copyright form.
  • If you are unable to visit us, you can still ask us to copy a document or part of an older book. First you will need to search our online catalogue and get the ‘finding number’ for the item you want. Then complete the archives service request form (opens in a new window) and we will find out if the item can be copied and let you know how much it will cost. We will send you a copyright form. When you have returned it and paid we will post your photocopies to you.
  • You can now also buy high quality vintage prints online from our postcard collection at:  East Riding Photos Picture Archive (external website)

If you want to publish or exhibit a document then please email the archives service with your name, contact information and what you would like to exhibit:

Email: archives.service@eastriding.gov.uk

What do you charge to visit?


It is free to visit the Treasure House, however we do make charges for some of the other services that we provide. These charges are listed below. 


  • A4 black and white page - 60p
  • A3 black and white page - 80p
  • A4 colour page - £1.20
  • A3 colour page - £1.50
  • A4 from microfilm/fiche reader 1- £1.20
  • A3 from microfilm/fiche reader - £1.50
  • Handling charge for orders by post - £3.00 per production item
  • Self-service A4 microfilm/fiche printer reader – 60p
  • Self-service from A3 microfilm/fiche printer reader - £0.80
  • Self-service A4 and A3 black and white print – 10p
  • Self-service print out from public access PC  – 10p
  • Self-service colour print out from public access PC - £0.50
  • Print out from transcript or electronic file - 10p

Certified copies

  • Certificate from parish register, marriage - £10.00 (statutory charges governed by the Registrar General)
  • Certificate from parish register, baptism - £29.00 (statutory charges governed by Ecclesiastical Fees Order)
  • Search and certificate from parish register, baptism - £21.00 (statutory charges governed by Ecclesiastical Fees Order)
  • Certified transcript from a parish register - £6.00
  • Certification other than parish registers - £6.00

Register of Deeds

  • Copy memorial - £26.00
  • Copy certified memorial - £32.00
  • Copy plan - £7.50
  • Search fee, per half hour - £15.00
  • Copy memorial (self search) - £8.00


  • Cost per scan - £2.00
  • Cost per CD and copying onto CD - £2.00
  • Handling charge - £3.00 per 10 scans


  • Use of own camera in research room with unlimited number of shots:
    - £10 per day
    - £45 per year
  • Staff photography:
    Handling charge - £17.50
    Cost per shot - £2.00
    Cost per CD and copying onto CD - £2.00

Reproduction for publications

  • Reproduction for publication in printed or electronic format, per item produced - £28.00, at discretion of the Archives Manager. Copies of publication can be accepted instead of charge.

Search Service

  • Assistance researching family and local history - £15.00 per half hour

Talks and Tours

We offer talks and tours at the Archives service, for more details visit the events page, pricing is detailed below:

  • Archives and Local Studies Behind the scenes tour - £3.00 per person.

  • For lecture or talk - £35.00

  • Outside opening hours additional fixed rate applies of £30.00 per hour to cover staff costs (2 members of staff required).

Consultancy fees

  • Any outside consultancy work, talks for commercial organisations - by negotiation.

Records storage

  • Records storage per linear metre per annum - £12.00.

Treasure House meeting room hire

Education room hire (maximum 30 people)
  • Commercial - £27.00 per hour
  • Non-commercial - £21.50 per hour
  • Group delivering heritage aims of the Treasure House - £5.00 per hour 

Meeting room hire (maximum 10 people)

  • Commercial - £19.00 per hour
  • Non-commercial - £16.50 per hour
  • Group delivering heritage aims of the Treasure House - £5.00 per hour

To book the education or meeting room please contact (01482) 392780.

Can I see closed documents?

It may be possible, some documents are not fully open. You cannot see these on demand, and will have to contact us if you want to look at closed records.

  • Some of our collections are closed. This is usually because archives can contain personal information.
  • Our online catalogue will tell you if a record is closed or not. You can still ask for the information from a closed record but you will have to apply to see it and we may still have to keep it closed.

Data Protection

  • If you are asking for information about yourself then a law called the Data Protection Act gives you that right. You will need to apply to get any information and give proof of who you are. There is a £10 fee.
  • You will have to agree to use the information in a way that does not break the Data Protection Act.

Freedom of Information

  • A law called the Freedom of Informationact gives you a general right of access to information.
  • Your request will be looked at by us and we will tell you if you can see the record or have the information given to you. We will also tell you if the information has to remain closed and why. You have a right of appeal to the Information Commissioner.
  • You can find out more about how the archives and local studies service applies the Freedom of Information Act to its collections in the following leaflet. 

Freedom of Information leaflet (pdf 25kb opens in new window)

If you want advice on how to ask for information from closed records under either the Data Protection or Freedom of Information Acts then please complete the archives service request form (opens in a new window).

Can I see or buy historic photographs online?


We have a selection of photographs and postcards available  to see online through our East Riding Archives Flickr account: 

Flickr (external website)

Please note: East Riding Archives participates in The Commons on Flickr to further its educational mission and increase public access to its collections of images.

East Riding Archives images that are part of The Commons on Flickr are marked 'no known copyright restrictions', indicating that we are unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these images, either because copyright has expired, no evidence has been found that copyright restrictions apply, or we own the copyright and have chosen not exercise that control.

The images that we upload to our Flickr photostream are available for non-commercial research, private study, or educational purposes. 

Please credit 'East Riding Archives' when you use these images, including the 'archive ref' from the image title.

If you would like to use these images for any other purpose, or to obtain high quality copies, please email us at archives.service@eastriding.gov.uk 

The Commons on Flickr (external website)

East Riding Photos - Picture Archive

We have teamed up with Max Communications Limited to bring you high quality vintage prints from our historic postcard collection, available to buy online.  

Choose from a range of sizes to create an ideal gift, or decorate your local business premises such as cafes, pubs, restaurants, and hotels, to lend a vintage look and feel to any room.

East Riding Photos Picture Archive (external website)

You can find out more about our external partner, Max Communications Limited on their website:

Max Communications Limited (external website)

Can you do research for me?

It may be possible as we offer a short research service. We can search through some of our records for up to half an hour. You will need to give us details of the names, places and dates to search. 

We can search these types of records: 

  • Church registers
  • Newspapers
  • Census records 1841-1901
  • School registers
  • Cemetery and coroners' records
  • Electoral registers.

If you would like us to search the above records or any other type of records the service costs £15, which you will need to pay when making your request.   Please complete the online archives research form (opens in new window). 

If you need a longer search or a lot of research you should employ a record searcher. The following external websites may help you: 

Do you do talks or tours?

Yes. We do behind the scenes tours of the archives and local studies in the Treasure House.

These tours can be booked by groups or societies. For more details visit the  events page.

What other facilities do you have?

The archives and local studies service is in the Treasure House building in Champney Road, Beverley. The Treasure House is a one-stop centre for heritage and information services. 

It contains the East Riding archives and local studies, Beverley Library, a museum and Beverley Art Gallery. Strong rooms house the archives and local studies collections and part of the museum’s collections. There are education and meeting rooms. You can watch conservators repairing books and documents.

Coffee lounge 

The coffee lounge is on the first floor of the Treasure House. It is open 9.30am till 4pm Monday to Friday, and 9.30am to 3pm on a Saturday. It serves hot drinks, sandwiches, soup, snacks, cakes and biscuits. 


There is a gift shop selling items not available elsewhere in Beverley, relating to objects in the Treasure House collections or current displays. 


We have exhibitions on the heritage and culture of the East Riding on the first floor of the Treasure House. 

Treasure House Events and Exhibitions Brochure 2018 (pdf 2mb opens in new window)


The toilets are on the ground floor of the Treasure House. We have a toilet with disabled access and a baby changing room.

Do you have any policies for the service?

Yes, we develop and maintain a number of policies about our collections and access, so that we can deliver the best possible service to our customers whilst protecting and preserving the region’s archival heritage for this and future generations.

Collections Access and Engagement Policy

This policy details our commitment to customer care, community engagement and equality of access.

Collections Access and Engagement Policy (pdf 212kb opens in new window)

Collections Care Policy

This policy seeks to reduce the main risks and threats to the long-term survival and accessibility of our collections.

Collections Care Policy (pdf 232kb opens in new window)

Collections Development Policy

This policy looks at how we want to develop our collections and includes details about the nature and format of the records we collect, the geographic area that we cover, and the specific categories of records that we hold.

Collections Development Policy (pdf 183kb opens in new window)

Collections Information Policy

This policy looks at the information we want to gather and create about our collections.

Collections Information Policy (pdf 169kb opens in new window)

Does the service have any certification? 

Yes, we are celebrating the news that the service has been awarded Accredited Archive Status.

Accredited Archive Services ensure the long-term collection, preservation and accessibility of the country’s archival heritage. Accreditation is the UK quality standard which recognises good performance in all areas of the delivery of archive service.

Achieving accredited status shows that East Riding Archives has met clearly defined national standards relating to management and resourcing; the care of its unique collections; and what the service offers to its entire range of users. 

The Accreditation Panel from The National Archives which made the award “congratulated the service on working well across the Accreditation standard and on its level of achievement throughout. This strong performance represented a good service to the people of the East Riding, and a significant investment in their collections".

East Riding Archives and Local Studies offers the chance to visit the extensive and unique archives collection based at the Treasure House.