Organising a highway event

A highway event is any event that may disrupt the highway network and affect the safety of other highway users. Guidance to help organise an event.

What is a highway event?

A highway event is any event that may disrupt the highway network and affect the safety of other highway users. Regardless of whether the event takes place on or off of the public highway, event organisers must plan to mitigate the impact of their event on the local community and the highway network.

By engaging with us in the event planning stages, we can work with you to highlight potential issues, prevent problems, and take action to keep traffic moving.

If your event takes places off the public highway, you must still notify us using our Highway Events application form.

For events that require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) you should read the guidance notes and submit an application form appropriate to the type of event you are organising.

What is it?

Events, both on and off the highway, are an important part of the community, but they can also cause significant traffic disruption on both the local and wider road network. It is important that events are carefully planned to minimise traffic congestion and risks to safety on the highway.

Things to consider

  • As road closures cause disruption to drivers, pedestrians, residents, and businesses, they should only be considered once all other options have been exhausted.
  • Closing a public road, footway, footpath, or verge without a lawful closure order is illegal.
  • If an event cannot be run without a road closure, then event promoters are advised to consider the following factors in the earliest planning stages:
    Do you have enough resources to procure and maintain the signs needed?
  • Are your staff competent/trained to place, maintain, and remove signs?
  • Have you consulted with residents/politicians/businesses/organisations and local disability groups about the closure?
  • Have you consulted with local bus companies and emergency services regarding the closure?
  • Have you made any contingency plans for emergency access to your closure, for example to attend an accident?
  • What plans are there to remove broken down vehicles from within the closure or the diversion routes?
  • What plans have been made to avoid/remove vehicles already in place before the closure starts?
  • What plans are there to enable businesses or residents to access their property within the closure?
  • What effects will the closure have on surrounding streets?
  • Is there sufficient car park availability/displacement due to road closure/car park suspension?

How much notice do I need to give?

12 weeks is the absolute minimum notice period required to process a highway event.

How much will this cost?

Closure costs

The current cost for a closure held under Section 16A of the Traffic Management Act 2004 is £287.

The current cost for a closure held under the Town and Police Clauses Act 1847 is £173.

Other costs for event organiser to consider

  • Traffic management plan
  • Signage hire
  • Additional staff hire.

Is there guidance available to help me organise my event?

Yes, please download the guidance notes as a PDF via the link below:

Highway event guidance notes (pdf 349kb)

How can I apply to hold an event on council land?

The application process is as follows:

Download and complete the application form below, then email it back to us as an attachment to the address below.

Highways Event Notification Form (word 56kb)


Please note: notification is requested as soon as possible, a minimum of 12 weeks prior to the event.

Who can I talk to about my plans?

Please contact for any queries regarding events.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News