Organising an event on council land

How to organise street parties, galas, fireworks displays and more.

Do I need the approval to hold an event on council land?

If you wish to organise an event (such as galas, fairs, firework displays, shows or concerts) on council property you must, in most cases, have approval from the council. This must be obtained before you can go ahead with your event.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council would like events to be planned and well-managed so that any potential risks to health and safety or from Covid are eliminated or minimised.

Do you have any guidance to help me organise my event?

In order to assist with organising events, the council have produced two planning packs providing you with an overview of your duties and responsibilities:

Planning pack for organising events on council-owned property (pdf 319kb)

Guidance for organising street parties (pdf 68kb)

Guidance for running Covid-safe events (pdf 336kb)

They also identify key tasks and gives specific advice from the council's regulatory services with whom you may need to consult when organising and holding an event on council-owned land.

Notification is requested as soon as possible - at least 3 months prior to your event. You may be required to fill in an application form for larger events.

How can I apply to hold an event on council land?

Apply online to hold an event

Please note: notification is requested as soon as possible - at least 3 months prior to your event. You may be required to fill in an application form for larger events.

Who can I talk to about my plans?

You may wish to talk to somebody for advice before completing the online application form above.

Please contact the following people for specific advice, dependent on the location of your proposed event:

Covid risk assessments

Email: emergency.planning@eastriding.gov.uk

Highways and car parks

Highways Events Officer
Tel: (01482) 393939
Email: highwaysevents@eastriding.gov.uk

Parks and open spaces

Paul Palmer, Assistant Manager - Projects and Development 
Tel: (01482) 395864
Email: paul.palmer@eastriding.gov.uk

Sewerby Hall and Gardens

Marie Gascoigne, Facility Manager
Tel: (01262) 762201
Mob: 07717 151768
Email: marie.gascoigne@eastriding.gov.uk


Kirsty Salisbury, Facilities Manager - Foreshores
Tel: (01262) 678255 
Email: kirsty.salisbury@eastriding.gov.uk

Any other council land

Valuation and Estates
Tel: (01482) 393998
Email: rachel.kynman@eastriding.gov.uk

Private land

Environmental Health
Tel: (01482) 396291
Email: licensing@eastriding.gov.uk

General enquiries

Not sure who to contact and have a general enquiry?

You can visit any Customer service centre, call us on (01482) 393939 or send us an general enquiry online.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.