Play areas and parks

COVID-19 Service Information

There are 84 play areas across the East Riding with play equipment such as climbing frames and swings for young children.

All council play areas in the East Riding are fully open for use. Families using them are asked to take notice of signs at all sites reminding them about the COVID-19 restrictions in place to help keep everyone safe.

They include the following guidelines:

  • Judge the risk of COVID-19 to you and your family before entering the play area

  • If you or anyone in your family are showing symptoms of COVID-19 do not enter the play area

  • Wash or sanitise your hands before and after using the play area, and try not to touch your face whilst visiting.

Where is my nearest play area or skatepark?

The East Riding of Yorkshire Council is responsible for a number of play areas in the East Riding.

Please note: there may also be other play areas in the East Riding which are the responsibility of a local Town or Parish Council or other organisations and therefore do not appear on the map.

For further details please contact us online about play areas and parks.

Will the council pay for a new play area or skatepark?

Whilst we don’t have any money to fund play projects, we can help to get your ideas up and running and we will support you right to the end. Please read our advice below and get in touch with our play and early years team to discuss your thoughts and ideas:

Can you advise on how to fund a new play area?

Key issues to consider

Here are some of the things you will need to do:

  • Organise a community group to work together

  • Agree the aims of the group

  • Open a bank account in the group’s name

  • Consider any other people you know who might get involved

  • Find out what children, young people, parents and members of the community would like to see in their area

  • Identify a suitable place to locate the facility - contact land owners about leasing arrangements. If you do not know who owns the potential land, contact your local town and parish council or the council’s Terrier Team on (01482) 393941

  • Ask local town or parish council if they would take on the ownership of the project once complete

  • Contact play manufacturers and discuss potential designs

  • Start applying for funding

Further advice

The following pdf document gives guidance on how to start your ideas:
Developing play facilities in your community (2.5mb)

Please note: it can take a long time to develop a play space or facility, but a commitment to children’s play will really pay off in the long term.

How can we get money to fund or maintain a play area?

Non-council funding

Other ideas

  • Hold fundraising events such as fairs, quizzes and sponsored activities
  • Talk to your local town or parish council about raising money through the local 'precept' (the local bit of your council tax)
  • Ask local businesses to pay a little each year so they can have a plaque on the play area fence or front gate.

What cheap ways can we improve our play area?

A well-designed play space is more than just swings and slides. It’s all about creating an interesting area that is enjoyed by children and their families who want to visit frequently.

Here are some ideas:

  • Organise a bulb or tree planting event with local children and their parents
  • Add rocks and logs for children to climb or sit on
  • Make some sound by hanging windpipes in the trees
  • Find some good quality soil and make a grassy mound (a big favourite!)
  • Include colourful, textured planting (mazes, shaped areas, strong scents)
  • Let the grass grow long and have an exploration area
  • Drag out the emulsion and varnish to brighten up tired looking fencing
  • Install some small wooden bike ramps.

Please note: you must always get the permission of the landowner first.

What can I do about children and young people causing issues at a play area?

Adults can sometimes mistake boisterous play as anti-social behaviour. Young people hanging around in groups or children shouting should not be always interpreted as having any serious or malicious purpose. Children should be allowed to be children and that sometimes means making mistakes. It is the adults’ role to support children to make the most of their childhood and enjoy their community.

General concerns

If you are concerned about the way children and young people are playing, please contact us:

Personal safety concerns

If you feel intimidated or threatened by a child or young person’s behaviour, you can report it as anti social behaviour:
Report anti-social behaviour

For criminal offences

Please call the police on 999 if you believe a crime is being committed or somebody is in danger. Call their 101 non-emergency number for non-immediate issues.

How often are the council play areas inspected?

We inspect larger urban play areas every week and small rural play areas every two weeks. Our inspection officers are trained and are Register of Play Inspectors International (RPII) qualified. An independent inspector carries out an annual inspection.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News