Non-leisure centre sports facilities

Sports facilities which are not leisure centres, book a football pitch or hire a room at a school, what Directed Community Use is and advertising a club in schools.

What other sports facilities are there in the East Riding?

In addition to our 10 leisure centres (find a leisure centre) there are a number of other sports facilities in the East Riding, including:

  • community multi-sports club facilities, for example Dukes Park in Bridlington
  • football pitches
  • golf courses
  • playing fields
  • private leisure clubs
  • indoor bowls centres
  • and other sports clubs run by local community groups.

To find out more information about these facilities, where they are located in the East Riding and contact details, you can visit the Spogo sport and fitness finder website (run by Sport England).

Please note: the Spogo website is currently unavailable. For sport and fitness activities in your area visit the BBC get inspired activity finder:

BBC - Get inspired activity finder (external website)

The Spogo website allows you to search for sports facilities anywhere in England. You can browse an interactive map of the country, search for facilities in your local area, use the name and address of a specific facility to find out more information.

To search for a local sports club, please visit our club search page.

How do I book a football pitch at a school?

To book a school football pitch you should contact the school directly to discuss availability, time slots and the facilities required.

There are three types of football pitches available for booking at schools; grass, mini-soccer pitches and third generation synthetic turf pitches (3G STPs).

Longcroft School

  • 1 x full-size 3G

  • 4 x full-size grass pitches

  • 3 x mini-soccer pitches

Tel: (01482) 389094

Longcroft School (external website)

South Holderness School

  • 1 x full-size 3G

  • 3 x full-size grass pitches

  • 1 x mini-soccer pitches

Tel: (01482) 899315

South Holderness School (external website)

South Hunsley School

  • 1 x full-size 3G and

  • 4 x full-size grass pitches

Tel: (01482) 636733

South Hunsley Secondary School (external website)

Howden School

  • 1 x 60m x 40m 3G
  • 3 x full-size grass pitches
  • 1 x mini-soccer pitch

Tel: (01430) 430448

Howden School (external website)

Bishop Burton College

  • 1 x full-size 3G
  • 4 x full-size grass football pitches
  • 3 x full-size grass rugby pitches
  • 2 x junior pitches

Tel: (01964) 553111

Bishop Burton College (external website)

Not found the pitch you're looking for? Try these...

Other school pitches

Whilst the schools above have 3 different types of pitches for hire, lots of other schools have normal grass pitches for hire.

Please call us on (01482) 392523 for locations and availability.

Leisure centres

All leisure centres have indoor courts and some have outdoor pitches.

Find your local leisure centre and contact reception to book.

Community land

Many areas of community land within the East Riding (such as Walkington and Little Weighton) is available for use as football pitches.

Please call us on (01482) 392523 for locations and availability.

How can I hire a room at a school?

Finding a room for hire

To find schools and nurseries in which you can hire rooms, please use the East Riding School and Nursery Finder.

How does the booking process work?

Once you have made an enquiry the school or nursery will then direct you to the Community Use of Schools Service and/or issue you a booking form to complete, which requires evidence of the user groups public liability insurance.

Once the school has entered the booking details into their diary for the caretaking purposes they send the form onto the Directed Community Use of Schools (DCU) officer who will then quote a price for the booking.

The booking is then confirmed in writing with a letter to the user group and a copy to the school.

After the booking has taken place an invoice is sent to the user group. This normally occurs at the end of each school term.

Any pricing queries are best answered by the DCU service in the first instance as there are varying charges according to the nature of the user group for example Girl Guides, Scout groups receive a concessionary rate as they are voluntary, non-profit making groups aimed at young people.

For all queries regarding booking facilities on school premises, please email

What is Directed Community Use (DCU)?

The service actively promotes implements, manages and develops a programme of community use on education premises within the East Riding. The service reimburses schools for the energy costs, which they incur outside normal school hours and holidays when community groups use their site.

Community benefit

  • Access to a wide variety of facilities, which are often only available locally in schools
  • Facilities available at a relatively low-cost dependent on the type of activity and group
  • Access to a greater range of cultural activities and opportunities locally with anything from children’s rugby teams to adult dance groups.

Booking requirements

Voluntary clubs

All voluntary sporting clubs hiring school facilities must achieve the East Riding Club Accreditation Scheme (ERCAS). The aim of ERCAS is to ensure that clubs and user groups have a number of measures in place to certify they are providing safe, quality sessions for their members, especially young people.

Sports businesses

All sport business users are required to meet the East Riding Minimum Operating Standards (ERMOS).

However, the service appreciates that not all users fall into this category. An Approved School User Scheme has been introduced which is aimed at ensuring all school user groups provide the necessary documentary evidence to enable them to continue using school facilities in a safe and appropriate manner.

Approved School User Application form (word 125kb)Approved School User Guidelines and Conditions of Use 19/30 (pdf 196kb)

Can our club advertise in schools?

All voluntary sports clubs are required to achieve ERCAS accreditation and all sports businesses are required to achieve ERCAS business minimum operating standards before they are able to advertise activities in East Riding schools.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News