We've launched a new website!
The information on this web page may now be out of date.
Please visit our new Your Life, Your Way website for current information on how to get active, maintain your independence and get support with your current and future care needs.
Visit the Your Life, Your Way website

Getting adult social care support

What adult social care and support is available and who can access it, find out if you are eligible, how you will be assessed and what to do if you aren't eligible to receive funding.

What social care support is available?

Short-term care services

You may receive care services in the short term as an emergency, for example when leaving the hospital. 

Read more about returning home after a stay in hospital.

Long-term care services

If you’re likely to be in need of long-term support, you will be offered an assessment of your needs to see if you’re eligible to receive help.

Social care services include help with:

If eligible, you will receive a ‘Personal Budget’ which allows you purchase care outlined in your support plan (which will be given to you following your assessment).

Free advice

We can help you get support and help:

  • to determine if you’re eligible for funding for short term care or long term care
  • to access care services, even if you aren’t eligible for funding
  • from family and friends
  • from local support organisations.

Who is social care support available to?

We offer information, advice and support to adults who need help to live as well as possible with an illness or disability. 

This includes people who are over the age of 18 and:

  • are older or frail
  • have a physical or learning disability
  • have mental health issues
  • young people making a transition from children's social care 
  • are vulnerable for other reasons, such as prisoners. 

Please note: whilst information and advice is free for all, access to services is only available to those who are eligible for funding, via their ‘ Personal Budget’.

Please contact customer services to discuss your needs with us, and we will decide if you need an  assessment:

Get in touch
(01482) 393939
Adult social care contact us form

'Am I eligible for funded support?

You will need to have an  assessment to help find out about your situation, needs and your financial situation. 

After carrying out the assessment we will then consider whether any of the needs identified are eligible for social care funding. The council uses an eligibility framework to decide which needs are eligible to be met by public care and support.

If you are  eligible for social care support a financial assessmentwill be carried out to determine how much you will need to pay towards your care, if anything. This has to be determined before you can be allocated a budget known as a ' Personal Budget'.

Read more about the assessment process and what happens if you aren’t eligible.

Request an assessment and find out if you’re eligible to receive a Personal Budget

Please contact customer services to discuss your needs with us, and we will decide if you need an  assessment:

Get in touch
(01482) 393939
Adult social care contact us form

More about eligibility:

How does the eligibility assessment work?

What’s involved?

A care management worker will arrange to meet you to talk about what is working well for you and what you need help with. It will ask questions such as:

  • how you manage with day to day tasks
  • how easy it is to get out and about in the community
  • how you keep yourself safe.

You will also meet with a welfare rights officer who will do a financial assessment for you.

Can somebody help me with the assessment?

It can be completed by yourself, or with the help of family and friends before the visit from a care worker. 

Alternatively, you can wait until you are visited by a care worker and they can complete the questionnaire with you.

English not your first language?

If your first language is not English, or if you use sign language, we can arrange for a communicator. 

Please identify this in your request for an assessment so that arrangements can be made to provide the information in your preferred format. 

What happens next?

If eligible for support, you will create a 'Support Plan' with the help of the care management worker. This will make sure your needs are met and will advise you how you should spend your 'Personal Budget'.

Find out what happens if you aren’t eligible.

What happens after my assessment if I'm eligible for support?

Following your assessment, you will be told if you are eligible for funding and how much your 'Personal Budget' is and how much your contribution (if any) will be. 

You will then develop a 'Support Plan' which will detail how you will spend your personal budget to meet the needs you identified during your assessment.

Please note: before you can be allocated a budget, you will also need to undergo a financial assessment to decide if you will be required to contribute towards your care. 

Read more about paying for services and your 'Personal Budget'.

Creating a 'Support Plan'

You will be given a Support Plan guide and you can involve family and friends in developing the support plan. We will visit you to advise and go through the plan, or help you to develop it if you wish.

The finished plan will need to be signed by you and agreed by the council. We will then provide you with a copy, and we can also give a copy to your carer, or others involved in delivering your care if you give your permission.

Please note: any information you provide is confidential and we will ask your permission before we share it with anyone, for example, doctors or occupational therapists.

Reviewing your 'Support Plan'

Your support will be reviewed within the first three months of the care services being in place, and then once a year or more often if you need it. 

Your care and support arrangements will not be changed without discussing it with you first. 

A review might result in changes to your Support Plan and the services you receive. After the review, we will send you a copy of your new plan. 

You can also contact your care coordinator between reviews if things have changed for you. If you have a direct payment, the finances will also be reviewed. 

What happens if I'm not eligible for support?

Anyone not eligible for support funded by the council is known as a ‘self-funder’ which means you will not get a ' Personal Budget' and will need to pay for social care services with your own money.

Even if you are going to pay the full cost of your care, you can still discuss your care needs with us. There may also be some benefits that you are entitled to that we can look at as part of your overall assessment, as well as access to our  Lifeline and Telecare services.

Please contact customer services to find out what help is available to you:

Get in touch
(01482) 393939
Adult social care contact us form

Is support available to prisoners?

Yes. People who are in prison and those who live in approved premises, such as bail hostels, can access social care services to support their rehabilitation.

This can make it much easier for them to rebuild their life after release by having a positive impact on:

  • their health and wellbeing, and
  • the likelihood of reoffending.

The new Care Act legislation says that if a person meets particular criteria, the prisons or approved premises’ local council must provide their care and support but people who are in prison and people in approved premises who can afford to must pay part or the full cost of their care.

If someone receiving care and support moves to another prison, the Care Act makes sure that their care and support continues. The council may also assess the needs a person may have when they are released from prison into the community.

Differences for prisoners

Most people who are in prison have less choice about their care arrangements than those outside of prison. They also are unable to receive a cash personal budget for their care and support (although this does not apply to those without convictions, such as certain people on bail).

People who are in prison may not choose their accommodation except when it is being arranged for after their release.

If a person who is in prison acts as a carer for another prisoner, the Care Act makes the local council responsible for assessing the carer’s own support needs unless their caring work is part of their voluntary or paid job.

Please note: councils do not have to protect the property of adults with care and support needs in prison or approved premises.

Prisons and approved premises are still responsible for detainees’ safety. This means that the local council’s Safeguarding Adults Boards are not responsible for enquiries or reviews into abuse or neglect of a prisoner with care and support needs. However, Safeguarding Adults Boards can advise, help and assist prison officials when needed. They may also invite prison staff to be Board members.

Who can support me to make sure I receive the right care?

An advocate is a person who works with you to make sure: 

  • your ideas and wishes are heard, and
  • that the care and support you receive is right for you.

From 1 April 2015, the  Care Act places a new duty on local authorities to provide access to independent advocacy to those who would have substantial difficulty in being involved in care and support ‘processes’ and have no appropriate individual(s) e.g. carer, family or friend, who can support their involvement. Find out who can act as an advocate and how to request an advocate

Who do advocates support?

An advocate is there to support people who:

  • find it hard to make decisions about the care and support they need
  • feel they are not being actively involved in a decision, or who have difficulty in understanding what is happening with the care and support processes
  • has no appropriate person (carer, family member, friend) who can support them. 

Find out who can act as an advocate.

Your advocate will get to know you so they can support and represent you when decisions are made about your care. They will make sure that your wellbeing and interests are always carefully considered. Examples of where a person might want an advocate there to support them include: 

Your advocate will help you to:

  • understand the care and support process
  • talk about your wishes, views and feelings
  • make decisions
  • challenge council decisions about your care and support if you don’t agree with them
  • understand your rights
  • support you in the safeguarding process, if necessary.

Please note: if your advocate is provided by the council, we must also talk to your family or friends to help arrange the right support and care for you.

Find out how to request an advocate

Who can act as an advocate?

Advocates must be experienced, trained and independent to the local authority, the NHS, your doctor and other healthcare services. An advocate is not paid or professionally involved in providing care or treatment to the person they are supporting or their carer.

They are people who:

  • understand the processes that may be difficult for people to understand
  • will help to decide the best way to support and represent the person they are working with and
  • should be looking after that person’s well-being, making sure that their views, beliefs and wishes are considered and included. 

If there is nobody else appropriate and available to represent a person’s wishes, local authorities must arrange an independent advocate to support them, and help them to be more involved.

Can I choose my advocate?

Advocates are organised by the local authority and you are not able to choose them yourself. 

How can I request an advocate?

If you think you, or someone you know, could benefit from an advocate, please speak to your/their care worker or contact customer services:

Get in touch
(01482) 393939
Adult social care contact us form

Who can I contact for more information?

You must contact customer service: 

Get in touch
(01482) 393939
Adult social care contact us form

Please note: if you are already receiving services from adult social care, any further request should be made through your care worker, and not through customer services. 

Out of hours

In an emergency, telephone customer services on the number below. We will respond 24-hours-a day, 7-days-a-week including bank holidays:

Get in touch
(01482) 393939
Adult social care contact us form

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.