Residential care for children

Information on how many children's homes the council run, who they admit, how long can you stay, who looks after you, contacting the family, what happens with education, health needs, encouraging hobbies and interests, are they well looked after and is it monitored.

How many children’s homes does the council run?

The council runs two children's homes, The Croft, and Cardigan Road. Both offer medium to long-term care.

Who will they admit?

The residential home will admit young people aged 14-16 whose needs have been assessed as requiring a residential placement.

How long are young people able to stay at the home?

Young people are able to remain at each home up to and including the age of 18 (end of school Year 13) but are expected to demonstrate a real commitment to employment, education or training.

Who looks after the young people?

Both homes have a team of well trained and supported staff who have all been vigorously vetted and hold current DBSs. All have experience in working with young people.

What happens about contact with family and friends?

Family contact is positively encouraged unless there are legal restrictions.

What happens about education?

You will be supported to maintain your current placement. Staff works very closely with schools and other colleagues in the education department and with youth support services to support young people’s education and ensure their present and future educational needs are met.

How are young peoples health needs met?

Each young person will receive a health assessment. Each home has access to health services including Child and adolescent mental health services CAMHS and a sexual health nurse. The care staff works to support the individuals health needs. Any special dietary needs are catered for.

Are hobbies and interests encouraged?

Yes, both homes will support any hobbies and interests you follow. You will also get opportunities to try new ones.

How do you ensure young people are well looked after?

The overall aim of the service is to provide care of the highest quality which allows young people to feel safe, to fulfil their potential and to prepare them for independence.

All young people accommodated at The Croft and Cardigan Road will receive support and encouragement to :

  • be healthy
  • stay safe
  • achieve economic wellbeing
  • make a positive contribution
  • enjoy life and achieve their full potential

Every young person in care has regular reviews and planning meetings to ensure their individual needs are met. These reviews can include religious, cultural, physical, intellectual, social, emotional and spiritual.

How is this monitored?

Each home receives regular inspections by Ofsted. They are also monitored on a monthly basis by an independent reg 44 inspector from National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS). The service manager visits regularly.

How do I find out more information?

For all initial contacts and new referrals into children's social care contact us on (01482) 395500 between 8am - 6pm.

Alternatively, you can contact us on:

Fax: (01482) 395530
Secure email:

Details of the contact will be passed on to the relevant children’s social care team to respond; referrals will be acknowledged by the receiving team.

Further information is available on the Department for Education website:

Department for Education - children in care (external website)

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News