Support and protection for children and young people (0-19 years)

If you are worried about a child or a young person, you can contact the Early Help and Safeguarding Hub (EHaSH) to talk about your concerns and receive advice. Information on what happens when you contact EHaSH, who we share information with and how to follow up on your enquiry. 

What should I do if I’m worried about a child or young person?

If you are worried about a child or a young person or think that they might be at risk of harm, abuse or neglect, you can contact the Early Help and Safeguarding Hub (EHaSH) to receive advice:

You should contact us if you are worried that a child or a young person is being affected by:

  • domestic violence
  • abusive/exploitative relationships
  • behaviour, emotional well-being and/or mental health
  • alcohol and/or substance misuse
  • gambling or gaming addiction
  • welfare and benefits
  • bereavement and separation.

EHaSH can signpost you onto services that could support you and your family through the challenges you face.

How do I contact the Early Help and Safeguarding Hub (EHaSH)?

There are different ways to contact us depending on how you know the child and what your concern is. 

If the child is in immediate danger call the police on 999.

I’m worried about a child, how should I tell you about it?

If you are unsure contact us on:

Tel: (01482) 395500

Office hours are:

Monday to Thursday 9am - 5pm

Friday 9am - 4.30pm

Outside of office hours contact the children's service out-of-hours team:

Tel: (01482) 393939

What will happen when I contact the Early Help and Safeguarding Hub (EHaSH)?

EHaSH will listen to your concern and decide what action needs to be taken. 

To help make the right decision, EHaSH may need to gather and share information with other services including:

  • the Police
  • education services  
  • health services.

If a social work response is required

If there is a concern that the child or a young person has been harmed or is at risk of harm,  EHaSH will share the information with one of the local social work teams to consider what child protection arrangements need to be put in place.

If a social work response is not required

If support isn’t required from one of the local social work teams, EHaSH will:

  • signpost you to sources of self-help
  • ask your permission to refer your concern onto an appropriate Early Help and Prevention Service. 

Can information be shared without my permission?

The Early Help and Safeguarding Hub would normally need your permission to share the information with other services, however, your information may be shared without your permission if:

  • someone is being harmed or may be at risk of harm, or
  • the information may help to stop or solve a crime.  

If a professional is contacting EHaSH, they should have spoken to you first to make you aware of their concerns and seek your consent. 

The only exception is if the professional is concerned that seeking your consent may increase the risk of harm to the child or young person.

How will I know what has happened to my enquiry?

If you have made an enquiry to the Early Help and Safeguarding Hub they will contact you to let you know the response. 

This could be by telephone or in writing.

How do I make a complaint, make a suggestion or give a compliment?

Children’s support and safeguarding services are committed to providing quality services. We need to hear from you if you have any complaints, suggestions or compliments about the service received.

Provide feedback about our service 

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.