Support for families

Information on the kind of help you can receive, who can access it, how to access it, reporting a concern, how cases are investigated, the role of East Riding Safeguarding Children's Board, how you are assessed, permissions to share information, outside of office hours availability and how to make a complain or send a compliment.

How can I contact the children's social care teams?

All contacts on non-open cases should go through the Safeguarding and Partnership Hub using one of the following methods:

Tel: (01482) 395500

Secure email:

This service is available:

  • 8.30am - 5pm Monday to Thursday
  • 8.30am - 4.30pm Friday.

Out of hours: contacts received and urgent matters out of hours are dealt with by the emergency duty team on (01482) 393939.

For open cases, the relevant safeguarding team should be contacted:

NORTH - covering Bridlington, Driffield, Pocklington and Market Weighton area:

Bridlington Children's Safeguarding Team

East Riding Of Yorkshire Council
Hilderthorpe School
Shaftesbury Road
YO15 3PP
Tel: (01482) 395470
Fax: (01482) 395450

Wolds Children's Safeguarding Team

East Riding Of Yorkshire Council
Hilderthorpe School
Shaftsbury Road
YO16 5PP
Tel: (01482) 395470
Fax: (01482) 395450

WEST - covering Goole, Howden, and Haltemprice area:

Goole North Children's Safeguarding Team

East Riding Of Yorkshire Council
Council Offices
Church Street
DN14 5BG
Tel: (01482) 396842
Fax: (01482) 396843

Goole South Children's Safeguarding Team

East Riding Of Yorkshire Council
Council Offices
Church Street
DN14 5BG
Tel: (01482) 396842
Fax: (01482) 396843

Haltemprice Children's Safeguarding Team

East Riding Of Yorkshire Council
Anlaby Children's Centre
First Lane
HU10 6UE
Tel: (01482) 565560
Fax: (01482) 565580

EAST - covering Beverley, Hornsea and Holderness area:

North Holderness Children's Safeguarding Team

East Riding Of Yorkshire Council
Beverley Children, Young People & Family Centre
Coltman Avenue
Beverley, HU17 9LP
Tel: (01482) 880066
Fax: (01482) 880024

South Holderness Children's Safeguarding Team

East Riding Of Yorkshire Council
George Street
HU12 8JH
Tel: (01482) 899962
Fax: (01482) 899680

Beverley Children's Safeguarding Team

East Riding Of Yorkshire Council
Beverley Children, Young People and Family Centre
Coltman Avenue, Beverley
HU17 9LP
Tel: (01482) 880066
Fax: (01482) 880024

Initial contacts can also be made in person at any of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council customer service centres.

Find your nearest customer service centre

How are concerns investigated?

When a referral is received by the local safeguarding team, the team manager will review the information within 24 hours and make a decision as to whether or not the threshold for safeguarding services has been met.

If the threshold is met

If the threshold has been met, the case will be allocated to a social worker who will complete an assessment within 45 days. Normally consent would be sought from parents to complete the assessment, however, if there are urgent concerns the child or young person will be seen immediately and appropriate action taken.

The assessment will consider risks to the child or young person and support the needs of the family.

If the threshold is not met

If threshold for safeguarding services is not met the family will be signposted to the appropriate service.

How will I be assessed?

To find out how to support you, a social worker from one of our teams will need to talk to you and your family about how things are going. They will also want to talk to your children if it’s appropriate for them to be involved.

We need to find out more about you and what needs you have. Sometimes we will need to contact other organisations, such as education or health agencies, to help us gain a fuller picture of what you and your child need. Ideally, we will agree with you who else we talk to. This helps us decide whether we can help you or if another organisation could help you more.

We need you to talk honestly about any difficulties you might be having, and about what is working well for you. It is very helpful if you give us permission to talk to other people. This helps us to understand your family’s needs more fully.

After we have spoken with everyone, we will write up our findings in a report that we call an assessment. Your views will be included in the assessment and you will get a copy of this. The report will say what support you need and if we are able to help. The social worker has 45 working days to complete the assessment.

Do you need my permission to share the information I give you?

Yes. Sometimes it is necessary to share personal information with other organisations to allow us to work together to provide the best service for you.

We follow strict rules about confidentiality that tell us what personal information we can collect, how and when we can share this information with other organisations.

We will usually speak to you and ask your permission to the sharing of necessary personal information as part of our work with you.

Further information can be found in the document below:

Children's Social Care Privacy Notice and Guide (167kb)

Children's Social Care Short Privacy Notice (pdf 100kb)

Can you share my information without my permission?

There may be instances where we need to share information with other appropriate organisations without your permission in order to protect a child or young person or others from significant harm.

We will discuss this with you unless this will put others at risk.

Other sections within this website contain further information about data protection and information sharing.

What type of support will I get?

Below are some examples of how support may be offered:

  • services to protect children from risk of abuse and/or neglect
  • support families to resolve difficulties
  • put people in touch with other helping agencies
  • ensure children, young people and families have access to the most appropriate services available
  • support and advice in times of difficulty, where it is felt that children need such support, or where parents need additional support to ensure they are able to meet their children's needs
  • provide access to services for children with disabilities and their families
  • provide access to support for young carers
  • provide access to support for private foster carers
  • look after children who, for a variety of reasons, can not live at home
  • advise about rights and benefits
  • prepare young people in care for independent living
  • work with families in a preventative way, supporting families so that, wherever possible, children can stay in their own homes rather than go into care, providing respite and emergency fostering services.

What about outside of office hours?

Outside office hours children’s social care operates an emergency service provided by an emergency duty team on

Tel: (01377) 241273

How do I make a complaint, make a suggestion or give a compliment?

Children's social care is committed to providing quality services. We need to hear from you if you have any comments, compliments or complaints about the service you receive.

The Children's Services Feedback Annual Report 2016-17 is now available.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News