What FISH can do for you

The Families Information Service Hub (FISH) can offer a wide range of information, advice and support to parents and carers across the East Riding.

What is FISH (Families Information Service Hub)?

The Families Information Service Hub is known as FISH.

The friendly, helpful FISH team operates a helpline offering free, impartial information for young people, parents and carers and professionals who have a role in supporting families.

FISH is a 'one-stop-shop' where you can get details of services in the East Riding for children and young people aged 0-20 years.

Browse the Family Services Directory

What can FISH do for me?

Talk to us about the following:


Where to look for information about activities across the East Riding including sports clubs, parent/toddler groups, leisure centres, uniformed groups such as Brownies and Scouts and much more.

Families Information Service Hub

FISH is responsible for providing information to families of children and young people and the professionals who support these families. You can find information about the following areas:

Browse the Family Services Directory for access to these services

Two Year Old Funded Places (2FP) - childcare funding for 2-year-olds

Information, advice and guidance about the new scheme, who can apply for 15 hours of funded childcare for their 2-year-old and where you can access those hours.

Funded Early Education (FEE) - childcare funding for 3 and 4-year-olds

All 3 and 4-year-olds are entitled to 15 hours of funded childcare per week during term time from the term after their third birthday.

Some 3 and 4-year-olds may be entitled to 30 hours - an additional 15 hours per week.

Other ways of paying for childcare

Read about additional ways of helping with the costs of childcare, including working tax credits and tax-free childcare.

Looking after your child with additional needs

Talk to FISH about what support is available for parent carers of children with additional needs by calling (01482) 396469. They can put you in touch with one of the SENDIASS Officers who will look at what activities, support and services are available in your area.

SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice Support Service)

SENDIASS provide impartial, confidential information, advice and support to parent carers of children aged 0-25 with special educational needs who live in the East Riding. Visit the Local Offer website for support with special educational needs.


LOOK AHEAD is a service for parent carers of children aged between 0-25 years with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).

Read more about LOOK AHEAD.

Looking for childcare

Up-to-date information on Ofsted registered childminders, day nurseries, pre-schools, out of school clubs, nursery classes, nursery schools, and creches. Read more about finding a childcare provider.

Sure Start Children's Centres

What is a children's centre, how they can help, what activities and support are on offer and how to find your local centre.

Working with Children

Information for existing or new childcare settings including how to become a registered childminder.

Where can I find out more about emotional health and wellbeing?

The Family Services Directory is a one-stop shop where you can find the information you need to support children and young people, whether you are a professional working with children and young people, or you are a parent/carer, friend or young person.

The Family Services Directory has information on services which can help with:

  • ADHD

  • anxiety

  • attachment difficulties

  • depression

  • eating disorders

  • substance misuse

  • self-harm

  • psychosis, and

  • many other services.

Family Services Directory (external council website)

What other support is available?

There are many local and national services that can offer advice and support to parents. If you would like help finding the right service or organisation to help you and your family please contact FISH:

Tel: (01482) 396469

Email: fish@eastriding.gov.uk

Alternatively, you can browse the FISH directory to search for childcare, support and services.

Effective support for Children, Young People and Families - Safeguarding and Early Help


Early Help Service
Tel: (01482) 391700, and

Safeguarding and Partnership Hub (SaPH)
Tel: (01482) 395500

will each offer you the opportunity to talk to a practitioner about your concerns and discuss the most appropriate way forward.

Further details of how to access this new offer can be found in the Safeguarding Partnership August newsletter - Partnership Matters:

ERSCP Newsletters (external council website)

The conversations in these consultations will be underpinned by the Effective Support Guidance available at:

East Riding Safeguarding Children Partnership (external council website)

This guidance sets out the criteria for accessing services, from universal services, through additional support, targeted support and specialist services. A programme of virtual training events has started to support the introduction of this guidance, details of which can be found in the August edition of the ERSCP newsletter – Partnership Matters:

ERSCP Newsletters (external council website)

Making a referral

If, in line with the Effective Support Guidance, it is appropriate to refer a child/family for Early Help Services or for a social work assessment then a revised Request for Service Form will need to be completed http://www.erscb.org.uk/.

However, where there is a concern of significant harm that may need an urgent response then you will find, after ringing the Safeguarding and Partnership Hub number (01482) 395500 an option to be put straight through to a social worker to discuss this concern. This option will provide a way to prioritise those concerns which need urgent attention. We will need your help in ensuring that this option is reserved for such circumstances.

Please find copies of supporting documents below

ERSCP Effective Support Guidance (pdf 16mb)

ERYC Request for Service Form (word 37kb)

Youth and family support

The youth and family support service is available to help young people aged 9 -19, or up to 25 years if you have learning difficulties or a disability.

You can contact the youth and family support service by:

Email: yfs@eastriding.gov.uk
Tel: (01482) 392824

Aged 14 or over?

Take a look at the Log On Move On website which has training and learning opportunities across Hull and East Riding:

Log On | Move On (external website)

What is the East Riding SEND Local Offer Bulletin and can I receive it?

Are you a professional or practitioner who works with children and young people?

The East Riding SEND Local Offer Bulletin is full of information about events and activities across the East Riding to help professionals support and advise the families they are working with. Visit the page via the link below then scroll down to the bulletin.

SEND Local Offer Bulletins) (external council website)

How can I contact FISH?

You can contact the FISH team in the following ways:

By telephone:

Tel: (01482) 396469 Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm, Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm.

By email:

Email: fish@eastriding.gov.uk

On social media:

Fish on Facebook - facebook.com/EastRidingFISH (external website)

Fish on Twitter - twitter.com/FamiliesERYC (external website)


We hope we answered your enquiry promptly and to your satisfaction.

Please could you spare a few minutes to comment by following the link to How did we do?

Thank you. Your comments are appreciated and will help us to improve our service.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News