Information for childminders and childcare settings

Information to help new and existing childminders including what is involved in childminding, how to become a registered childminder, training events, and useful documents.

What is a childminder/childcare setting?

A childcare setting could be one of the following:


Childminders are self-employed and care for children usually in their own home. They can often provide flexible care to suit your needs and may be able to provide more individualised care for your children. Childminders can care for children from age six weeks to 16 years but must register with Ofsted.


Crèches provide occasional childcare during particular events whilst you are taking part in an activity. Crèches must be registered with Ofsted if they open more than four hours per day or the parents are not within the immediate area, or they provide care for children aged under eight years for more than 14 days in a year.

Day nurseries

Day nurseries care for children from birth to five/eight years. They are usually open all day, but not at the weekends and bank holidays. Children can generally attend full or part-time and most nurseries will offer funded early education for three and four-year-olds.

Home childcarers

Home childcarers are similar to childminders but home childcarers work from the family’s house rather than their own. Home childcarers will often be willing to travel for work.

Out-of-school clubs

Out-of-school clubs are often based in schools, community halls, and play centres. They will provide care before and after school and some will offer drop-offs and pick-ups from schools in the area. Out of School Clubs are mainly open during term time but some will provide a holiday scheme out of term time. If they are providing care for more than two hours per day for children aged birth to eight years they must be registered with Ofsted.


Pre-schools are generally open to children aged two to four years (or until they reach compulsory school age) and can offer funded early education for three and four-year-olds.

Are you interested in becoming an Ofsted-registered childminder?

Firstly a few things to consider:

  • Do you live in the East Riding of Yorkshire?
  • Do you own your own home?
  • If yes, have you checked your deeds to ensure you can work from your home as some developers prohibit this
  • If you live in a rented property, have you checked with your landlord and gained written consent to work from their property?
  • Can you offer a safe stimulating environment that will promote the good health, education and development of children?
  • Can you manage a wide range of children's behaviours?
  • Can you manage your own time efficiently?
  • Are you aware that everyone over the age of sixteen who live at the property will need an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check(that states Home Childcarer/Childminder)?

There will be some costs involved with becoming an Ofsted-registered childminder. Please see table below:

Costs of childminding

ItemApproximate cost
Car Insurance Business Class 1 Check with Insurance company (Annual cost)
Childminding Course Up to £350
DBS Update Service £13.00 per DBS Check for each person aged 16 years and over (not mandatory but good practice)
Enhanced Disclosure and Baring Check (DBS) £50.00 for each person aged 16 years and over
Employer Liability (Assistant) Check with Insurance company (Annual cost)
Equipment Various costs (start-up costs and ongoing)
House Insurance Check with Insurance company (Annual cost)
House/Garden Alterations Various costs (start-up costs and ongoing)
Information Commissioners Office (ICO – Data Protection) £40.00 annually
Motion Picture Licensing Company (DVDs) Have to contact for price.
Ofsted Health Declaration Form £0.00-£150.00 approx.
Ofsted Registration Fee £35.00-£220.00 annually
Paediatric First Aid (12 Hour) £90.00 approx. (Every 3 years)
Paperwork £50.00 to £100.00 (start-up costs and ongoing)
Performing Rights Society Ltd (PRS) Music License £40.00 annually ( if applicable)
Planning Application £385
Planning Query £60
Public Liability Insurance From £30

How do I become a registered childminder?

To support you in applying to become an Ofsted-registered childminder the Local Authority can offer you the following:

  • Becoming a Registered Childminder course: this will cover all aspects of childminding delivered face-to-face or via Microsoft Teams
  • Safeguarding training via the East Riding Safeguarding Children's Partnership
  • A full, comprehensive training programme.

Other pre-registration courses for childminders are run by external organisations however the Local Authority cannot recommend or verify any quality of teaching materials within these.

To book on or to find out more about the Becoming a Registered Childminder course, please submit an online enquiry:

Becoming an Ofsted-registered childminder application form

Where can I find information about job vacancies in Ofsted-registered childcare settings?

Job vacancies in Ofsted registered childcare settings can be found at:

  • your local job centre

  • local newspapers

  • job recruitment sites

  • recruitment agencies.

You can also find out about vacancies by contacting childcare settings directly or by searching the East Riding of Yorkshire Council's recruitment site:

East Riding Jobs (external council website)

If searching the East Riding jobs website for childcare vacancies, try searching for 'childcare' in the keywords box.

Please note: it is up to individual childcare settings where they decide to advertise their vacancies, so not all vacancies in the East Riding can be found on the East Riding jobs website.

Can my Ofsted-registered childcare setting advertise vacancies with the council?

To speak to someone about advertising you can contact recruitment services on:

Tel: (01482) 391238

What is early years training and can I access it?

Early Years training provides the training required by childminders and childcare settings in order to meet the standards of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).

Early Years training is available to all Ofsted registered childminders and childcare settings and will need to be booked through the provider section of the Families Service Directory.

Families Service Directory - Training programme

Eligibility, charging and cancellation policy for training 2019 (pdf 90kb)

East Riding Safeguarding Children’s Partnership

Please note: safeguarding training offered by The East Riding Safeguarding Children’s Partnership (ERCSP) cannot be booked through the e-Hub. You can find information about safeguarding training on the ERSCP website:

East Riding Safeguarding Children’s Partnership – Training (external website)

Paediatric first aid (PFA) training

Childcare settings no longer have to use local authority approved first aid training. Settings can choose which organisation they use and must check that it covers the course content as for St John Ambulance or British Red Cross Pediatric First Aid Training.

East Riding Leisure Centres offer Paediatric First Aid training at a reduced rate of £95 from £130 and should be booked and paid for directly through them.

For more information on these courses please contact the Senior Facility Manager on:

Tel: (01482) 395223

Workforce Development Funding

East Riding of Yorkshire Council, through the Early Help and Prevention Service, aims to raise the quality of childcare and improve young children’s early year’s experiences by helping to raise the skill and qualifications levels of new and existing staff.

For more information and to apply please use the document below:

Workforce Development Funding Guidance and Application form 2022-23 (word 139kb)

What other support is available for childminders and childcare settings?

Families Information Service Hub (FISH)

FISH play a key role in supporting childminders and childcare settings. You can contact the FISH team for information advice and support:


Tel: (01482) 396469

Early Years Development Advisers

Every Ofsted registered childminder and childcare setting has a designated Early Years Development Adviser. For more information please contact FISH:


Tel: (01482) 396469

Inclusion support for Funded Early Education settings

The Early Years Inclusion Team support the delivery of inclusion based training and can provide guidance and support to early years providers.

For more information please visit the Local Offer:

East Riding Local Offer (external website)

Safeguarding and Partnership Hub (SaPH)

If you're worried about a child/young person or think they might be at risk of harm, abuse or neglect, you can contact SaPH to log your concern and get advice.

If you are concerned that the child/young person is being affected by domestic violence, abusive/exploitative relationships, behaviour, emotional well-being/mental health, alcohol and/or substance misuse, welfare and benefits, bereavement and separation, EHaSH can provide advice and guide you to other services. This is not an exhaustive list.

During office hours (Monday to Thursday 9am - 5pm, Friday 9am - 4:30pm) you can contact EHaSH on:


Tel: (01482) 395500

Outside of office hours contact the emergency duty team:


Tel: (01377) 241273

Please note: professionals contacting EHaSH will be asked to follow up their telephone enquiry in writing.

Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)

The LADO oversees the investigation of all allegations made about staff and maintains detailed records of any investigation, their actions and outcomes.

Email address:

East Riding Safeguarding Children’s Partnership (ERSCP)

ERSCP is a statutory multi-agency organisation which brings together agencies who work to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people in the East Riding.

ERSCP (external website)

Children's centres

All childminders and childcare settings should have a designated children’s centre worker. To find out more information about your local children’s centre please visit Sure Start children’s centres.

HERE for Schools

If you are working in EYFS within a school or a maintained nursery then please visit HERE for Schools to access further information and resources:

HERE for Schools - 18422 (external website)

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News