You need to be able to offer a bedroom for the sole use of the young person for as long as the placement is open or required. During this time you would help the young person develop skills towards independent living such as helping with basic cooking skills, budgeting, promote personal hygiene and develop confidence and social skills. The young person will be supported by you as well as project workers, social services and any other agencies with which the young person may be involved.
To provide supported lodgings, you can be:
- married, with a partner or single
- working or not working
- with or without children
- homeowner or tenant
- from any ethnic background.
The only restrictions are that:
- you must have a spare bedroom in your home
- you must be in good mental and physical health
- there must be nothing in your background that would suggest that any person placed in your care could be at risk of harm or abuse.