Supported lodgings

Find out about supported lodgings, what's involved and how you can apply to be a provider.

What are supported lodgings?

Supported lodgings is a scheme which enables single people aged 16-21 to be offered accommodation in a home environment when leaving foster care or residential care. Supported lodgings are provided by people who can offer a bedroom in their homes, along with some level of support, to care leavers. The supported lodgings scheme operates under our pathway team.

Providers of supported lodgings undergo an approval process and will receive allowances and support from us if they are approved.

Could I provide supported lodgings?

You need to be able to offer a bedroom for the sole use of the young person for as long as the placement is open or required. During this time you would help the young person develop skills towards independent living such as helping with basic cooking skills, budgeting, promote personal hygiene and develop confidence and social skills. The young person will be supported by you as well as project workers, social services and any other agencies with which the young person may be involved.

To provide supported lodgings, you can be:

  • married, with a partner or single

  • working or not working

  • with or without children

  • homeowner or tenant

  • from any ethnic background.

The only restrictions are that:

  • you must have a spare bedroom in your home

  • you must be in good mental and physical health

  • there must be nothing in your background that would suggest that any person placed in your care could be at risk of harm or abuse.

What skills are required?

The main requirements are:

  • patience, tolerance and flexibility

  • plenty of common sense

  • the desire to make a difference to someone’s life

  • to be able to relate to young people and their lives.

We will talk to you about your past experience, both professional and personal, as it helps us understand what you can offer and helps us decide how to best match you to a young person. We will aim to ease the process and provide any training you need and to provide ongoing support during your time as a supported lodgings provider.

What allowances are available?

You would be paid an allowance of either £194 or an enhanced payment of £295 per week for the bedroom you are letting out to the young person. Every young person placed with you will also pay an additional supplement towards their keep of up a minimum of £25 per week to be negotiated with the young person.

What support is available?

Every supported lodgings provider receives support from the pathways team. An accommodation officer provides day to day support and you will be given opportunities to access support and advice to ensure that you are receiving all the advice and help that you need.

Training is offered to all approved providers and you will be required to undertake some training courses before a young person can be placed with you. You will also be given the opportunity to undertake specialist training in areas relative to young people.

How can I become a supported lodgings provider?

If you are interested in becoming a supported lodgings provider please download and fill our supported lodgings enquiry form below.

Enquiry form for supported lodgings - expression of interest (pdf 84kb)

Please send the filled form to the Pathway team address below:

Pathway Team
Children and Young People Support and Safeguarding Services
Manor Road Offices
Ground Floor
Manor Road
HU17 7BT.


Tel: (01482) 396666

If you want any further information then please contact us and we can email or post you an information booklet.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News