Education, training and employment

We will offer you an opportunity to work with our ETE Advisor to help you achieve your full potential. We will make sure that you are equipped with all the knowledge of the variety of courses/employment and training opportunities that are available to you.

We want to help you achieve the best outcomes possible for you. We can support you to plan your educational and training routes whilst thinking about your long-term goals and aspirations. If you know where you want to be, and what you want to be doing, we will do our best to help you get there.

Can I receive financial help with further education?

If you choose to go on to Further Education (e.g. college) you will be entitled to the 16-19 Bursary. This is usually around £30 per week and you need to meet certain expectations (including full-attendance). Your worker can provide you with a letter to give to college which will enable you to access this.

As a council if you choose to go onto University we will offer to support you the help and support in completing University Application and your student finance application.

If you go on to University you will receive a bursary of £2000 spread out across the duration of your course. For a standard 3 year degree this works out as three equal payments of £666 and is paid to you at the start of each academic year.

We will also pay you a weekly maintenance of £58 to help you support yourself throughout the course. We’d like to know that you’re attending and doing well around the time we set the payments up each year.

Some University’s also offer additional help / finances to Care Leavers. It’s well worth checking this out with them and we will help you do this.

Can you help me when choosing a university?

We can help support you in your search for the right University. Each year we hold a taster day at Hull University for anyone interested and we would also help you visit University Open Days.

Our ETE Advisor can also help you with your personal statement should you need advice and support and we can also ask some of the Council’s Undergraduates help you too.

There is a really useful website with helpful information for Care Leavers. It helps answer any questions or worries you may have about going to University and offers information about specific funds for care leavers, year round accommodation and other care leavers sharing their experiences.

Here is the website address:-

Can you help me with finding work experience and finding a job?

As a local authority we can offer you up to 140 hours work experience in numerous directorates in the council. Some of the areas taken up previously have been, IT, Joinery, Housing Repairs, Accounts and Leisure and Catering Services.

If you choose to take up some work experience you will have a named worker who will take you on the first day and a contact within the area of work who will keep an eye on you.

We will also help support you with travel so you can get there and would look at some form of incentive. If you are interested in having some work experience either let your worker know or get in touch with our ETE Advisor.

“How to get a job” programme

The Pathway Team works with the National FromCare2Work scheme, and our local partner agencies to offer you the following to help you on your way to full time work:

  • Work experience / volunteering (within the council and with other agencies).
  • Apprenticeships
  • Help with looking for work, completing applications and negotiating with the Job Centre.
  • Mentoring (one to one with our graduate trainees)
  • Interview Practice
  • We hold regular ‘How to Get a Job and Keep it’ events and will let you know when these events are coming up and will support your travel costs to get there. We work with a range of employers and agencies who will provide advice, guidance and details of their own experiences of their progression into employment.
  • Every Wednesday afternoon there is also a ‘one-stop’ shop held at the Pathway Team office, where workers are available to help you with any aspect of employment, training and education. Travel costs will be paid to you if you wish to come along.

How do you celebrate success?

Each month workers within the Team nominate young people for our Care Leaver of the Month award. This recognises achievements, progress or something you may have done to stand out.

Towards the end of each year we invite all winners to an Annual Care Leaver Awards Event to recognise your achievements in front of our Managers and the important people in your life.

Our Education service also holds an annual GCSE Awards Ceremony at the Bridlington Spa (usually around October). This event includes performances by young people to showcase their talents, entertainment, awards for GCSE and SAT results and a buffet!

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News