Extra support

Extra support for children and young people leaving care.

I am pregnant, what support can you give me?

If you are pregnant or have a child we can help you to find out if you are entitled to any financial help.

Your worker or midwife will also support you to claim a grant of £500 during your pregnancy if you are eligible for one. This is to buy all the essential items you need for when your baby is born.

If you want to access training, education or employment you should find out what child care support is on offer from your employer, training provider, college or University - or discuss this with your worker.

If you feel you need extra support or help in managing being a young parent we can help you access local groups, Children’s Centre’s or services.

Please note: Contact your worker if you need access to your local groups or support with accessing grants or benefits.

I have a disability/special educational need, what support can you give me?

If you have been diagnosed with a disability we will help to ensure that you have the right support and services. This may include help with access to benefits and/or support from other workers.

You may be supported by the Disability Team, Futures + or Adult Social Care.

It may have been identified that you have a Special Educational Need which explains what help and support you may need to help you learn, train or be employed. We will use this information to ensure that you have the right equipment and support in place and keep this under review in case your needs change. More information can be found on the Local Offer Website:

Local Offer website (external website)

I am a young, unaccompanied asylum-seeker, what support can you give me?

If you arrive in the UK as an Asylum Seeking Child we are the Team that will support you. In the beginning we will find you somewhere safe to live and help with any urgent needs.

We will find you a solicitor and help you to make your claim for asylum. To begin with we will not know how your claim for asylum will be decided but we will still help you attend education and look after your health while you wait for your decision.

If you have family you can contact we will help you try and get in touch with them to let them know you are safe.

We have access to interpreters to help us talk to each other and can have documents translated into your first language. We will help you with things such as getting some clothes, arranging some pocket money, accessing your faith and religious needs and communicating with the Home Office and your solicitor.

I'm involved with the Youth Offending Service, what support can you give me?

If you find yourself involved with the Youth Offending Service your worker will support you with understanding the process and what you need to do.

If you have any court appearances your worker will also offer to support you during this. They will speak to your YOS Worker to help understand what is needed from you, and anything we can do to help you complete any work.

Sometimes we support young people who are in custody. This could be a Youth Offending Institution or Prison. We will make contact with the team there and arrange regular visits to you to check on your welfare. We will also support your family, and help them find out how they can visit you too.

Before you leave we will look at where you will live once you are released.

How do I make a compliment or complaint?

You may wish to pass on some positive comments or compliments about your worker or the team. There are opportunities to add these in your Pathway Plan but you can also send them in.

There might be times when you feel you are not getting the support you need/or you don’t agree with decisions made. Your worker will always listen to any complaints you might have.

If you want to make a complaint or pass on any compliments please email: customer.relations@eastriding.gov.uk.

Can I access the information you hold about me?

The law says that you have a right to see information written that is about you. This includes files held by Children’s Services. Your worker can help you find more information on this if this is something you would like to do and they will give you the correct application form from the Data Protection Access Service.

There is a current £10 fee for this service. Do talk it through with your worker, as if it is a particular thing you want to know about, they might be able to find the information you need for you.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News