Health and wellbeing

Can you help me to register for GP/dentist/optician?

It’s really important that you are registered with health services and keep up to date with health checks such as dental check-ups and eyesight tests.

We’ll help you to get registered with a GP, Dentist and Opticians local to you if you don’t have one and as you get older and become more independent we’ll help you manage these appointments yourself.

If you need help with finding out how to pay for your prescriptions or any health checks (dentists / opticians) you can find information on the links below, or ask your worker.


NHS - Help with prescription costs (external website)


NHS - Help with dental cost (external website)

Eye tests/glasses

NHS - Help with eyecare costs (external website)

What is a Health Exit Summary?

During your time in care you may have taken part in annual health assessments with one of the LAC Health Nurses. Shortly before you turn 18, the LAC Health Team will produce what we call a Health Exit Summary which gives you information on your health history, usually from when you were born. If they have the information, it may also include details of any family health issues.

Your worker will make sure that you get a copy of this around your 18th Birthday.

Can you help me get access to healthy living activities?

Passport to Leisure

The local authority offers all Care Leavers a discounted pass for any of the East Riding Of Yorkshire Council Leisure Centres. This pass will get you 50% off all costs and your worker can make the application for you. For information on the Leisure Centres in East Riding, please visit the East Riding Leisure website.

We run a number of activities throughout the year which include Go Ape, Beach Day (Volleyball / Rounder’s) and have hosted many Football Tournaments and Get into Sport Days so look out for more of these upcoming events.

When reviewing your Pathway Plan your worker will discuss your health, exercise and healthy living. If you need any help in this area you can plan how this will be done.

If you’d like to look for other resources to help you, there are some useful links to websites below which are full of advice and suggestions:

NHS Healthy Eating (external website)

Change for Life - advice on health and exercise

Can you help me get access to sexual health information?

We have direct access to a Sexual Health Service with 2 Specialist Sexual Health Nurses. We can put you in touch with them and if you’d prefer, they are able to visit you at home. Please ask your worker if you would like this to be arranged.

This website gives details and information on sexual health, contraception and local clinics:

Conifer House - Sexual Health (external website)

Alternatively, you can find more information on the NHS website:

NHS - Sexual Health (external website)

Can you give me support with emotional health?

Your emotional health is just as important as your physical health. In our local authority we have a specialist counselling service that we can refer you to if you would like extra support. They are part of the Youth and Family Service and is a free and confidential service. All you need to do is ask your worker to make a referral to them for you.

The Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service also have a specific service for looked after children and care leavers up to the age of 18. Your worker may discuss this with you if they feel you need a little extra support or again, this is something you can request.

If you are working with CAMHS and are approaching 18 we will help you to transfer over to Adult Mental Health Services.

There are a wide range of resources online with some useful links below:

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News