Leisure and interests

We really want to know what interests you have and what you would like to be involved in. If you have any hobbies or interests that you would like help with arranging, just let us know and we’ll support you. We will also discuss this area with you as part of your Pathway Plan.

What is Passport to Leisure?

Passport to Leisure is a scheme for those under the care of East Riding of Yorkshire council and the local authority offers all Care Leavers a discounted pass for any of the East Riding Of Yorkshire Council Leisure Centres.

This pass will get you 50% off all costs and your worker can make the application for you. For information on the Leisure Centres in East Riding, please visit the East Riding Leisure website.

What information can I get about voluntary work?

Why people volunteer

People of all ages and all backgrounds get involved in many different tasks for a wide range of voluntary organisations. There are many reasons why people volunteer, here is just a small selection: 

Make a difference

Passionate about animals or human rights; interested in art, sport or music; frustrated by the housing crisis or the rubbish dumped in your local park? You can share your skills and experience working for causes that you are interested in, or assist in creating change in the areas that you care about.

Gain new skills

Keen to learn new skills, or refresh old ones? Just a couple of hours a week can really enhance your job prospects and help to fill any gaps in your CV. Over 70% of employers from the leading 200 companies say they would hire a candidate with volunteering experience rather than someone who has never volunteered.

Meet new people

Volunteering offers you the chance to have amazing experiences and make friends with people from all walks of life.

Build Confidence and Feel Good

Volunteering can help you develop the confidence to try out different things. Knowing that your skills are valued and contributing to your community can improve your self-esteem. There is a great deal of satisfaction that comes from making a difference.

Give Something Back

Have you benefitted from the work of a charity or community group? By getting involved you can show appreciation for what you or others close to you have gained, using your experience to help others in similar circumstances.

Hours of Access

You can contact Volunteer Centre East Riding and organise a 1-2-1 confidential interview and get up-to-date information on current opportunities in the following ways:

Visit us at the Beverley Office

Monday – Thursday 9.00 am – 4.00 pm (please phone or email in advance to arrange).

Phone: (01482) 871 077

Email: anne@ervas.org.uk

Can I register to vote?

We think it’s really important that you become involved in voting, and registering to vote.

Who can vote?

  • In England and Wales you can register to vote if you are 17 years old (and in some cases if you are 16). However, you can only vote when you become 18. You can vote in local elections and elections to the Scottish Parliament when you are 16 and elections to the UK and European Parliaments when you are 18.
  • British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizens. This means Commonwealth citizens who have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave.
  • Citizens of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member states.

To vote in an election or referendum, you must be on the electoral register.

Here is the link to register on the electoral roll, you could do this online or at any East Riding Customer Service Centre.

You can register online any time at;


Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News