Parents of teenagers

Information about what the council is doing to help with the issues of teenage pregnancy, who to contact in the council, a girl becoming pregnant whilst at school, where to find sexual health information and what support is available and how to request it.

What is the council doing to help with the issue of teenage pregnancy?

The government monitors levels of teenage pregnancy and conception rates through the teenage pregnancy unit which is based in the department for education and skills.

The unit also monitors what support and guidance is given to young people in respect of sexual health issues, education and multi-agency working.

The government agreed targets with the East Riding:

  • to reduce the under 18s conception rate by 45% by the year 2010
  • to have 60% of teenage mothers back into education and training by 2010.

Directly linked to the teenage pregnancy unit are regional and local teenage pregnancy co-ordinators. The remit of the co-ordinators is to develop strategies, which will address local issues whilst meeting the national targets.

In the East Riding work has included:

  • advertising and developing local health services
  • promoting and developing safe sexual health messages
  • developing and expanding services, which will help provide support for teenage mums and their children
  • the development of a sex and relationship education pack for all schools in the East Riding, which will help schools deliver the subject informatively and consistently across the area.

In the East Riding work is continuing to involve not only young people but also the community in the issues of teenage pregnancy and how best to address them.

Future work includes:

  • looking at how to help parents talk to their children about sex
  • working with boys and teenage fathers
  • expanding on suitable health provisions and sites
  • providing local information for young people regarding service provision.

Where can I find information about teenage pregnancy?

You can visit the Conifer website for guidance from Hull and East Riding sexual and reproductive healthcare services. On this site you can also find a contact number you can call if you wish to make an appointment to speak to someone (a counsellor) independent from your family and friends to discuss any concerns you may have.

Conifer - Unplanned pregnancy (external website)

If a girl became pregnant whilst still at school, what would happen to her education?

The education programme worker, based in the education welfare service at County Hall will accept referrals from professionals, once consent has been obtained, or a self-referral from either the girl or her family.

The education programme worker will work with the girl, her family and the school/college to ensure that she receives continued education throughout her pregnancy and provide advice and guidance on any other agency that needs to be involved.

What support is available for pregnant school girls and young mothers?

The hospital/home tuition service provides support for pregnant school girls and young mothers in the same way as it does for children with medical needs. However, girls are encouraged to remain at school for as long as they can as tuition is not generally provided until around the seventh month of pregnancy. Some continue to study in school beyond this point.

Once a tutor has been allocated, tuition takes place at home and pupils continue to work towards their GCSE examinations. Young mothers are expected to return to school once they are fit to do so but attendance is tailored to fit individual circumstances and, for most pupils, will involve a gradual reintroduction to school to allow both mother and baby to adjust.

How should you request support for pregnant school girls and young mothers?

Schools are asked to inform the education welfare service as soon as they become aware that there is a girl on their roll who might require support. The education programme worker for teenage pregnancy will make an assessment and act as a link with the home tuition service.

Parents of girls who require support are asked to contact the service via the school where they are enrolled.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News