Support for teenage parents

Information on what to do if you are pregnant and at school, how to talk to someone, where to get money for childcare and do you still get support once you have left school.

I am still at school and pregnant. What do I do now?

The law states that you cannot leave school before the last Friday in June of year 11, so you will have to continue with your education. The education welfare officer will help you plan the best way that this can be achieved.

You will get maternity leave with home tuition. This normally amounts to about an hour a day of one to one support for your education for six weeks before the birth and twelve weeks after birth.

Generally the school will give your details to the education welfare service office and you will be allocated an education welfare officer who will work specifically with you.

Many professionals at your school will be able to help and advise you about your pregnancy and sexual health. You can also attend a young parent group at your local children’s centres.

You could also access health services through your GP or through maternity services.

I am pregnant. Can I talk to someone?

Yes, you need to make an appointment to see one of our personal advisers.

You can call one of our centres to make an appointment with a personal adviser. You can view your nearest connexions centre on the Connexions Humber website.

Where can I get money for childcare?

Care to learn is money that you can claim for to pay for your child to be cared for to help you remain in education up to the age of 19.

This will enable you to continue with your current education and further education at college.

Directgov - care to learn (external website)

You can check out your other benefit entitlements at Jobcentre plus DWP.

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - Jobcentre plus (external website)

Sure start maternity grant

Directgov - sure start maternity grant (external website)

If you have left school post-16 you could drop into, or ring a connexions centre. When you contact connexions an appointment can be made for you to see a personal advisors.

Could I still get support when I have left school after my GCSEs?

Yes. The education welfare officer or school will make a referral to Connexions for post 16 support for you. This includes help with access to further education and childcare.

You can get further information on the GOV.UK Courses and qualifications for 14 to 19 year olds website.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News