Information for childminders and childcare settings

Information to help new and existing childminders including what is involved in childminding, how to become a registered childminder, training events, and useful documents.

Coronavirus COVID-19 - The most up-to-date guidance and information for schools and settings:

Here for Schools - Coronavirus COVID-19 advice for places of education 

What is a childminder/childcare setting?

A childcare setting could be one of the following:


Childminders are self-employed and care for children usually in their own home. They can often provide flexible care to suit your needs and may be able to provide more individualised care for your children. Childminders can care for children from age six weeks to 16 years but must register with Ofsted.  


Crèches provide occasional childcare during particular events whilst you are taking part in an activity. Crèches must be registered with Ofsted if they open more than four hours per day or the parents are not within the immediate area, or they provide care for children aged under eight years for more than 14 days in a year.

Day nurseries

Day nurseries care for children from birth to five/eight years. They are usually open all day, but not at the weekends and bank holidays. Children can generally attend full or part-time and most nurseries will offer funded early education for three and four-year-olds.

Home childcarers

Home childcarers are similar to childminders but home childcarers work from the family’s house rather than their own. Home childcarers will often be willing to travel for work.

Out-of-school clubs

Out-of-school clubs are often based in schools, community halls, and play centres. They will provide care before and after school and some will offer drop-offs and pick-ups from schools in the area. Out of School Clubs are mainly open during term time but some will provide a holiday scheme out of term time. If they are providing care for more than two hours per day for children aged birth to eight years they must be registered with Ofsted.


Pre-schools are generally open to children aged two to four years (or until they reach compulsory school age) and can offer funded early education for three and four-year-olds.

What should I consider when deciding whether to become a childminder?

There are lots of questions to ask before deciding on becoming a childminder and you may wish to consider the following:

  • Is there a shortage of childcare in your area?
  • Would you enjoy working from home or prefer working in a setting (such as a nursery)?
  • Could you see yourself being your own boss?
  • Can you offer a safe and stimulating environment and promote the good health, education, and development of children?
  • Can you manage a wide range of children's behaviour?
  • Are you able to manage and organise high quantities of paperwork? 

The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) sets standards for the learning, development, and care of children from birth to five years old.

As all childminders and childcare settings who look after children in the early year's age group follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), you may be interested in looking at the website below:

GOV.UK - Early years foundation stage (EYFS) (external website)

If you are interested in setting up your own childcare business and would like more information, you can speak to an Early Years Development Adviser (EYDA). Please contact the Families Information Service Hub (FISH) and they will put you in touch with an EYDA.

Please contact FISH on:

Email: fish@eastriding.gov.uk  

Tel: (01482) 396469

How do I become a registered childminder?

To become a registered childminder the Local Authority run the below courses:

Pre-registration childminding course

You can attend the local authority pre-registration course which is made up of two parts (as follows) which are offered as free sessions to everyone:

  • 'Is childminding right for me'
  • 'Business support'.

You can visit the Ofsted website below, which also contains useful information about the Pre-registration briefing:

Becoming a childminder: Pre-registration briefing (external website)

'Becoming a registered childminder' course

If after these sessions you would like to book a place onto the 'Becoming a registered childminder' course then there will be a charge.  As well as the charge for the course, there will be other start-up charges applicable such as:

  • registration with Ofsted
  • completion of a 12-hour Pediatric First Aid
  • registration with data protection
  • a health check.

All of this will be explained fully during the initial briefing sessions.

To book or to find out more about the ‘Is childminding right for me?’ course, please contact the Families Information Service Hub (FISH) on:

Email: fish@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01482) 396469.

After completion of the course, you can apply with Ofsted to become a registered childminder.

Other pre-registration courses for childminders are run by external organisations however the Local Authority or the Families Information Service cannot recommend or verify any quality of teaching materials within these. 

As a new childminder, you will be working for yourself as a self-employed business. You can visit the HM Revenues and Customs website for more information and useful tips and case studies answering questions about tax, national insurance, business records, and expenses:

HM Revenues and Customs (external website)

If you already have a qualification but are not sure if this is ‘full and relevant’ please click on the link below:

DfE Qualification Finder (external website)

Where can I find information about job vacancies in Ofsted registered childcare settings?

Job vacancies in Ofsted registered childcare settings can be found at:

  • your local job centre
  • local newspapers
  • job recruitment sites
  • recruitment agencies.

You can also find out about vacancies by contacting childcare settings directly or by searching the East Riding of Yorkshire Council's recruitment site:

East Riding Jobs (external East Riding website) 

If searching the East Riding jobs website for childcare vacancies, try searching for 'childcare' in the keywords box. 

Please note: it is up to individual childcare settings where they decide to advertise their vacancies, so not all vacancies in the East Riding can be found on the East Riding jobs website.

To speak to someone about advertising you can contact recruitment services on: 

Tel: (01482) 391238

Email: recruitment.services@eastriding.gov.uk

What is early years training and can I access it?

Early Years training provides the training required by childminders and childcare settings in order to meet the standards of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).

Early Years training is available to all Ofsted registered childminders and childcare settings and will need to be booked through the e-Hub. Please see e-Hub guidance notes below:

eHub Staffing and Training Module Guidance Notes (pdf 3mb)

Eligibility, charging and cancellation policy for training 2019 (pdf 90kb)

East Riding Safeguarding Children’s Partnership

Please note: safeguarding training offered by The East Riding Safeguarding Children’s Partnership (ERCSP) cannot be booked through the e-Hub. You can find information about safeguarding training on the ERSCP website:

East Riding Safeguarding Children’s Partnership – Training (external website)

Paediatric first aid (PFA) training

Childcare settings no longer have to use local authority approved first aid training. Settings can choose which organisation they use and must check that it covers the course content as for St John Ambulance or British Red Cross Pediatric First Aid Training. 

East Riding Leisure Centres offer Paediatric First Aid training at a reduced rate of £95 from £130 and should be booked and paid for directly through them.

For more information on these courses please contact the Senior Facility Manager on: 

Email:  leisure@eastriding.gov.uk 

Tel: (01482) 395223 

Workforce Development Funding

The East Riding of Yorkshire Council, through the Early Years and Family Support Service, aims to raise the quality of childcare and improve young children’s early year’s experiences by helping to raise the skill and qualifications levels of new and existing staff.

For more information and to apply please use the document below:

Workforce development Funding Guidance and Application form (word 139kb)

What other support is available for childminders and childcare settings?

Families Information Service Hub (FISH)

FISH play a key role in supporting childminders and childcare settings. You can contact the FISH team for information advice and support: 

Email: fish@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01482) 396469 

Early Years Development Advisers

Every Ofsted registered childminder and childcare setting has a designated Early Years Development Adviser. For more information please contact FISH:

Email: fish@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01482) 396469

Inclusion support for Funded Early Education settings

The Early Years Inclusion Team support the delivery of inclusion based training and can provide guidance and support to early years providers.

For more information please visit the Local Offer:

East Riding Local Offer (external website)

Early Help and Safeguarding Hub (EHaSH)

If you're worried about a child/young person or think they might be at risk of harm, abuse or neglect, you can contact EHaSH to log your concern and get advice.

If you are concerned that the child/young person is being affected by domestic violence, abusive/exploitative relationships, behaviour, emotional well-being/mental health, alcohol and/or substance misuse, welfare and benefits, bereavement and separation, EHaSH can provide advice and guide you to other services. This is not an exhaustive list.

During office hours (Monday to Thursday 9am - 5pm, Friday 9am - 4:30pm) you can contact EHaSH on:

Email: childrens.socialcare@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01482) 395500

Outside of office hours contact the emergency duty team:

Email: emergency.duty.team@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01377) 241273

Please note: professionals contacting EHaSH will be asked to follow up their telephone enquiry in writing.

Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)

The LADO oversees the investigation of all allegations made about staff and maintains detailed records of any investigation, their actions and outcomes.

Tel: (01482) 396559

East Riding Safeguarding Children’s Partnership (ERSCP) 

ERSCP is a statutory multi-agency organisation which brings together agencies who work to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people in the East Riding.

ERSCP (external website)

Children's centres

All childminders and childcare settings should have a designated children’s centre worker. To find out more information about your local children’s centre please visit Sure Start children’s centres.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.