Domestic violence - adults

For local domestic abuse advice and support call our confidential helpline on 01482 396368, Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm. If your situation is an emergency call the police on 999.

Our domestic violence - adults service can help you make a referral, get help with welfare benefits and housing options, and understand your legal rights.

From 1 November 2023 your health records will be available in the NHS app. This means if someone is able to access your app they will have access to all your personal health records, including details on medication, sexual, reproductive and mental health records as well as any disclosures of domestic abuse.

For survivors of domestic abuse, to improve safety and privacy, we would advise calling your GP surgery and asking for your records to be switched off so they cannot be viewed in the app. Or, if safe to do so, consider deleting the app from your device.

What is the domestic violence adult service?

Our domestic violence adult service offers support to anyone living with or fleeing from domestic violence and abuse. It is available to any East Riding resident aged 16 years or over.

If you are, or the victim is, aged 15 years or under, please contact our domestic violence children service.

We provide both emotional and practical support with:

  • welfare benefits
  • legal and housing rights
  • staying safely at home, including providing home security measures
  • help with housing options.

More information about our Domestic Violence and Abuse Partnership (DVAP) service:

Where to get help if you are being abused (319kb)

DVAP Poster (207kb)

What is domestic violence and abuse?

Domestic violence and abuse is defined by the government as ‘any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.’

This includes issues of concern to black and minority ethnic (BME) communities, such as so called 'honour’ killings.

Domestic violence and abuse can take different forms and may include:

  • physical assault

  • rape

  • sexual abuse

  • threats

  • harassment/intimidation

  • coercive control

  • mental abuse

  • verbal abuse

  • systematic criticism and humiliation

  • not being free to go anywhere or do anything on your own or with your friends and family.

Who it can affect

Anyone can be a victim of domestic violence regardless of gender, age, race, background, disability, sexuality or type of relationship.

Our team meet people every day who have been subjected to abuse from a partner, ex-partner or family member. Often this abuse has gone on for some time before they have asked for help.

What is a referral?

A referral is a request for help from you, from our domestic violence adult service. It is not a legal process and anything you tell us is confidential (read more about confidentially just below).

Is the service confidential?

Yes, when you request a referral, we will ask you to sign consent form that allows you to state which agencies we can share, store, receive or request information from.

Please note: if we feel that a child, young person or a vulnerable adult is at significant risk of harm we have a duty to report this to social services. This follows child protection and safeguarding adult procedures. If we think there is a risk of a crime being committed against you, we will share information with the police so they can offer you further protection.

How do I request a referral (ask for help)?

If you are a client wishing to make a self-referral

Make a referral (ask for help)

The form above is the fastest way to contact us and ask for help. However you can visit any Customer Service Centre and ask for a referral to be made to domestic violence adult services.

You will need to give us the following information when you request a referral:

  • your name
  • current address
  • an alternative safe address
  • a safe contact number
  • a brief description of why you would like support.

Please note: this referral is to be completed by clients only.

If you are a professional wishing to make a referral on behalf of a client

If you are a professional wishing to make a referral on behalf of your client, please complete the Referral Form and DASH Risk Assessment and email them to

DVAP Intake Referral form (professional on behalf of client)

DASH Risk Assessment Form (word 67kb)

MARAC Criteria (pdf 52kb)

East Riding MARAC Referral form

If you are primary care staff or a clinician wishing to make a referral on behalf of a client

For staff employed within Primary Care Networks, we have a dedicated Health IDVA. If you wish to make a referral on behalf of your patient, please complete the referral form below and email to

DVAP Referral Form (primary care staff or clinician on behalf of client) (word 30kb)

How long will it be before I am contacted after a referral?

We aim to contact you within seven days (although waiting times may increase when the service is in high demand). However, if any of the following circumstances apply you will be treated as a priority and we will contact you as soon as possible.


  • are homeless

  • have nowhere to stay on the day of referral, including having no family or friends to stay with

  • are at high risk of physical harm.

If you are waiting to hear about a referral or you want to give us any extra information:

What happens after a referral?

We will arrange to meet you in a safe place to assess your support needs and discuss issues, such as:

  • personal safety

  • housing options

  • home safety

  • family issues

  • health

  • welfare benefits

  • legal options

  • access to other services

  • other agencies that might be able to help you.

We may allocate a case worker to help you or advise you to attend a group programme. You can find out more about group programmes on the Freedom Programme website.

I want to cancel my request for support, what do I do?

If at any time you decide not to continue with your referral, you just need to call us to let us know that you no longer wish to receive our support:

Can I contact you just to talk?

Yes, you can call our confidential helpline to talk about your situation, seek initial guidance or advice and find out what services are available to help you. You do not have to identify yourself but be aware that phone numbers will appear on your bill.

You can use this helpline if you:

  • are currently in an abusive relationship

  • have experienced domestic abuse in the past

  • are concerned about someone you know and care about who is in this situation.

Please note: this is not a 24-hour service. If you are, or someone you know is in immediate danger call 999.

Can you advise me on my options?

If you, or someone you know, is experiencing domestic abuse or violence this digital Options Adviser can guide you through what help and advice is available.

It does not collect personal information so you remain anonymous.

Get help now with our online Options Adviser tool:

Can you help me to stay somewhere safe?

Yes, once you have asked for help, we can help to put safety measures in place, such as lifeline alarms, fire checks and personal alarms, so you can stay in, or return to, your own house. We can also help you explore your housing options and help you to leave an abusive relationship. This could include helping you to flee to safe accommodation in the East Riding or, in some circumstances, out of the area.

Where else can I get help or advice?

National Domestic Violence Helpline (for women)

A 24-hour freephone helpline (run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge) is available on 0808 2000 247. It is answered by fully-trained support workers and volunteers.

Women’s Aid

The Women’s Aid website offers support and guidance to women who have been a victim of domestic violence and also people who are worried about someone else. They aim to empower women who have been affected by domestic abuse to live independent lives free.

Men’s Aid Charity

The Men’s Aid website provides practical advice and support to men who have been abused and aims to relieve the hardship, distress and suffering of male victims (and their families) of domestic abuse.

Men’s Advice Line

A freephone helpline is available for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse. Call 0808 801 0327, Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm. For more information visit the Men’s Advice Line website.

Freedom programme online courses

The Freedom Programme website offers a range of online courses. You can view a sample before you pay for the course.

Be safe, leave safe, stay safe leaflet

This leaflet has useful information, such as protecting yourself in an emergency, preparing to leave, keeping safe when you have left and what you should take with you. It also contains some useful telephone numbers:

Be Safe, Leave Safe, Stay Safe leaflet (pdf 64kb)

What is the East Riding Domestic Violence and Abuse Strategy?

The Domestic Violence and Abuse Strategy sends a clear statement from all the agencies involved in working with those adults and children affected by violence and abuse that it will not be tolerated. The East Riding Community Safety Partnership, and Strategic Domestic Abuse Board has developed a partnership-wide Domestic Abuse Strategy for the East Riding.

This is the first system-wide partnership strategy for domestic abuse, and sets out the aims and objectives for all partners in the East Riding to respond to domestic abuse over the next 3 years.

East Riding Domestic Violence and Abuse Strategy 2020-2023

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News
Get in touch
Get in touch
Get in touch