Reporting a crime

Information on ways of reporting crimes, what to do if you are suffering from harassment, what hate crime is, ideas for community payback, problems with a ten-foot or alley, and how your area is policed.

How do I report a crime?

Reporting a crime

Did you know that there is a range of crimes that you can report online such as hate crimes and non-injury road traffic collisions?

Further information on how to report a crime, including who to report it to can be found on:

Humberside Police Report It (external website)

Who can I contact if I have concerns over illegal immigration?

Anyone with information about suspected immigration abuse can report it at:

Report immigration crime (external website)

or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

I am suffering from harassment, where can I get advice and support?

Discrimination consists of conduct or words or practices which disadvantages or advantages people because of their:

  • colour
  • culture or ethnic origin
  • nationality
  • religious belief
  • gender
  • disability
  • sexuality
  • age
  • geographical location or another status, and harassment and bullying are also unacceptable.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council's definition of discrimination includes direct and indirect forms of discrimination.

Direct discrimination occurs when a person is treated less favourably or more favourably than others would be, on grounds that are not justifiable, such as race, gender, disability or another status.

Indirect discrimination consists of treatment that appears to be fair and is applied to everybody equally but has an unjustifiable adverse impact upon a particular group.

The East Riding of Yorkshire Council's policy statement on discrimination is:

"The East Riding of Yorkshire Council is committed to fulfilling its roles as an employer, service provider, purchaser of goods or services and community leader without discrimination in terms of colour, culture or ethnic origin, nationality, religious belief, gender, disability, age, sexuality, geographical location or any other status. All members, employees and agents of the council must seek to eliminate discrimination and promote equality and good relations within all communities."

Any discriminatory incident reported to the council is treated seriously. The council is not required to publish details of incidents, so there will never be a breach of confidentiality in relation to any of this information.

What is a hate crime/incident, and how do I report it?

What is a hate crime?

A hate crime is any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice.

What is a hate incident?

A hate incident is any non-crime incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by hostility or prejudice.

How can hate crime be reported?

We recognise that victims of hate crime and hate incidents may find it difficult to report the matter directly to us. We work with several organisations who you may feel more comfortable talking to, these are called Third-Party Reporting Centres. Staff at the Third-Party Reporting Centres have been trained to help victims and witnesses to submit a report to the police. Alternatively, they can make a report on your behalf.

To find your nearest Third-Party Reporting Centre visit:

Third-Party Reporting Centres (external website)

Alternative ways to report hate crime

True Vision:

True Vision has been developed so that you can report hate crimes online - you do not have to visit a police station to report.

True Vision (external website)

Tell MAMA:

Tell MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents. It is not meant to be a replacement for the police service.

Tell MAMA (external website)

CST: Protecting our Jewish community

If you are the victim of an antisemitic incident or you have information regarding an antisemitic incident that happened to somebody else, please contact us as soon as possible.

CST (external website)

For further information or support regarding hate crime information and advice, visit:

Humberside Police - Hate crime (external website)

Hate crime literature

Hate Crime Poster (pdf 3mb)

Hate Crime Leaflet (pdf 1mb)

Who do I contact if I have an idea for community payback?

Community payback background information

In the Humberside area, over 160,000 hours of community, payback is completed every year by offenders on a community sentence. This equates to approximately £800,000 of free labour provided to local communities as offenders pay back for the crimes they have committed.

Community payback projects range from litter removal to clearing dense undergrowth, and environmental projects through repairing and redecorating community centres or removing graffiti. Offenders usually work as part of a team, monitored by a supervisor, and will work all day with short breaks, although there are some opportunities for individual placements.

The Probation Service are working closely with East Riding of Yorkshire Council to make sure that offenders do the things that you want them to do as payback for their offending. We are seeking your ideas for projects to be delivered throughout the East Riding in the future.

To be considered, your project must meet the following criteria:

  • It must benefit the local community
  • No-one must make a profit from the work
  • It must be challenging and demanding
  • It must be worthwhile and constructive
  • Offenders must be seen to be putting something back into the community.

Anyone can nominate a project, so, if you are an individual, member of a club, community group, faith group or voluntary organisation and have a project that fits the criteria above, please complete the form on this site. Your contact details will remain strictly confidential and they will only be used to update you on your suggestions.


The Probation Service work closely with the East Riding of Yorkshire Council to make sure that offenders do the things that you want them to do as payback for their offending. Work can include painting, garden clearance, litter picking, clearing grass growing into footpaths and snow clearance.

If you have an idea for a project in the future anywhere in the East Riding you can:

Submit a community payback future project idea online (external website)

If you would like further information please contact the safe communities team at:


How is my area policed?

Find out how Humberside Police look after your area on the Humberside Police website:

Humberside Police (external website)

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News