Tackling drugs and alcohol

What to do if you get in trouble with the law and you have a drug problem and how to get help with tackling your drug and alcohol problem.

I have got into trouble with the law and I have a drug problem.  What will happen to me? Can I get any help?

If you are in the criminal justice system, for example, you have been arrested, at court or on a community sentence, there are specific agencies that can support you through these times.

It is highly likely that you will be referred to one of the agencies on arrest or through the prison service’s counselling, assessment, referral, advice, and throughcare (CARAT) services. They are a gateway to drug treatment and other services for those in custody who misuse drugs or who have previously misused drugs.

Whether you serve a custodial sentence or not, you will be referred to the East Riding drug intervention programme (DIP).

If you are in trouble with the law over drugs you can contact the throughcare and aftercare team on (01405) 608210.

Once you have been referred to the DIP, there are a number of agencies that can offer you support outside of prison. The DIP will assess which one(s) will be most beneficial to you.

Legal advice

If you are in trouble with the law and will be appearing in court you have legal representation and may be able to get legal aid. This should be made clear to you while you are in Police custody or court.

How can I get help with tackling drug and alcohol problems?

The drugs and alcohol health advice page contains advice and guidance on ways to tackle drug and alcohol problems. It includes links to local services websites for further guidance. The East Riding has a full range of services for people with drug and alcohol problems and there is also help for the families of people with drug or alcohol problems.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News