Joint health and social care

How to get help and support after a change in circumstance, how you can benefit, how are intermediate care services provided.

How can I get help and support in getting back on my feet after a change in circumstances?

People sometimes need extra help and support after a change in circumstances, which may result in you having to manage on your own for the first time.

These changes could be:

  • following a fall or accident, that means you cannot manage for a while
  • following a stay in hospital
  • problems with a carer
  • the loss or change in health of a partner.

The best way to deal with this is for us to help you to regain your independence as soon as possible, so you can get on with your life.

It could mean

  • making changes to your home to make it easier to get around

  • help to manage money, or

  • help in the short term until you recover from your illness or accident.

This is referred to as 'reablement'. This is generally offered as a short term service by intermediate care services, our joint health and social care support or STARS. This may be all you need to get on your feet again. More information is available on the returning home after a stay in hospital (STARS) page.

If you have longer term needs, or if your needs are complex, you will be offered an assessment of needs. This helps to determine what those needs are and how they might be met. Further information can be found on the access to social care page.

How can I benefit from joint health and social care support (intermediate care)?

Joint health and social care is referred to as 'intermediate care' and the services provided vary depending on your needs.

As part of an agreed care plan, the aim of intermediate care is to provide a range of help and support to:

  • assist faster recovery from illnesses
  • avoid unnecessary stays in hospital
  • prevent admission to hospital
  • support timely discharge from hospital
  • support more independent living
  • prevent premature admission to long-term residential care.

The focus is to help you to regain your health, independence and confidence. The support you receive should work alongside other mainstream health and social services and contribute to the range of services that can be provided to meet your short term needs and/or help determine your longer term needs.

How are intermediate care services provided?

The council can provide services to people of all ages who need support following or during a period of illness, be that at home or in hospital.

Access to intermediate care services is through the single point of contact:

General enquiries Tel: (01482) 393939

Web: (external council website)

You will require an assessment to see if you are eligible for services. Further information can be found on the access to social care page.

Following the assessment period, if it is decided that longer term help is required, this will be arranged by the council, but may be provided by private companies. As part of an overall assessment you will also be financially assessed and means tested in line with the council's charging policy.

Intermediate care

Where possible we try to provide services in your own home, but they may also be provided in:

  • a day centre
  • community hospital
  • any other residential setting.

A wide range of health and social care professionals is likely to be involved. This could include:

  • doctors
  • nurses
  • psychiatrists
  • community mental health nurses
  • physiotherapists
  • occupational therapists
  • speech therapists
  • social workers and care assistants.

Short-term assessment and reablement services (STARS)

If you receive short-term assessment and reablement services (STARS), you will be financially assessed and means tested in line with the council’s charging policy.

Further information about this service can be found on the returning home after a stay in hospital (STARS) page.

We provide services to:

  • support individuals in regaining as much independence as possible
  • prevent inappropriate admission to hospital or care home
  • respond quickly to support a person or their carer when there is a crisis at home.
Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News