My Account and some online forms are currently unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience.

General help and advice

Services available to people with disabilities, accessing the services, equipment available, adaptations/equipment for vehicles support groups and are there charges for the service. 

What services are available to people with disabilities?

If you or someone you care for is unable to carry out day to day tasks or live independently at home, there are various ways we can help. We have a disability resource team, which includes occupational therapy staff and sensory impairment workers. The team provide assessment, advice and guidance for disabled people and carers who require assistance with activities of daily living. This can include:

  • equipment, advice and rehabilitation to clients with a sensory impairment
  • registration for people with a visual impairment. Further information about this can be found on the registering as disabled page
  • minor and major adaptations to your living environment
  • referrals for means-tested grant aid (for larger adaptations).

The team also has a rehabilitation officer to work with people with a visual impairment who can help with independent living skills, mobility and communication.

Find out if you are eligible for a blue badge. 

How can I access these services?

You will need to contact the council via customer services on (01482) 393939.

What equipment is available to people with disabilities?

If you are struggling with access around your home and have a physical disability, we can identify equipment or minor adaptations that could help you. Read more about maintaining independence in your own home.

Does the council provide adaptations or equipment for vehicles or mobility scooters?

The council does not provide adaptations or equipment for vehicles - these items would be purchased with your mobility allowance or the mobility portion of your disability living allowance (DLA). Further information about the disability living allowance can be found on the DirectGov website.

DirectGov - disability living allowance (external website) 

What support groups are available to people with disabilities?

The local-links website provides information on activities and groups throughout the East Riding. 

Local-links (external website) 

Is there a charge for services?

Equipment is free up to the cost of £1000. Anything that costs more than this will be means tested.

This means that we will need to ask detailed questions upon accessing the service about savings, income, and some expenditure. This information is used to calculate the amount you pay towards the cost of the equipment. This makes sure that the amount you pay is fair. 

here can I find fully accessible toilets?

The Changing Places group hold a list of toilets across the country that have the right equipment and adequate space to meet the needs of people who cannot use standard disabled toilets. The Changing Places website has information on the changing places campaign as well as a map showing all facilities across the country:

Changing Places (external website)

Changing places facilities are currently available at these locations across the East Riding of Yorkshire: 

Beverley Leisure Complex

Beverley Leisure Complex Flemingate 
Beverley, HU17 OLT 
Tel: 01482 395230 

South Cliff Gardens Public Conveniences

South Cliff Road Hilderthorpe Road 
YO15 3QL 

Driffield Leisure Centre

Bridlington Road 
Driffield, YO25 5HZ 
Tel: 01377 257480 

Bridlington Park and Ride

Located off the A165 from Bridlington to Hull/Beverley
Wilsthorpe roundabout. 
YO15 3QN. 

Francis Scaife Sports Centre

Burnby Lane, New Street, 
Pocklington, YO42 2QE 
Tel: 01759 305052 

Goole Leisure Centre

North Street, Goole, 
East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14 5QX 
Tel: 01405 769005