Registering as disabled

How to register as disabled, accessing disabled toilets and how to register as deaf or blind.

How do I register as disabled?

To register as being disabled, you will need to visit a customer services centre or telephone them on (01482) 393939.

The customer service advisor will pass your details on to adult social care services. Once a referral is made, you will be contacted and you may have to undertake an assessment, to establish what services would best suit you.

If you have a child you would like to enter onto the LOOK AHEAD disability register, please contact the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) or visit the East Riding of Yorkshire Local Offer Website.

SENDIASS is a free, impartial, confidential service that can offer and signpost parent carers to support and information.

SENDIASS can be contacted via Families Information Service Hub (FISH) on:

Tel: (01482) 396469

Email: sendiass@eastriding.gov.uk

How do I get a ‘radar key’ to access disabled toilets?

You will need to visit a customer service centre or call them on (01482) 393939, who will arrange for a key to be provided.

You will be required to provide proof of your disability or health issue that requires you to need access to disabled toilets. Radar keys are not just available to people with disabilities, you may be able to purchase a key if you have a health issue that requires you to use a toilet more frequently.

There is a non refundable charge of £2.50 for this service. This can be paid at any customer service centre by cash, credit/debit card or cheque.

How do I register as deaf or blind?

You will not need to register directly with the council, as we will be informed via a referral from your hospital consultant.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.