Gypsy and traveller sites

Does the East Riding have gypsy and traveller sites and are there any pitches available?

Am I eligible to apply for a pitch on a traveller site?

You will normally be eligible to apply for a pitch on a traveller site if:

  • you are at least 18 years old, and
  • you are not deemed to be guilty of unacceptable behaviour.

There are some exceptions to this:

Age of applicant

Applicants will normally be at least 18 years of age. Applicants under 18 years of age may be accepted if they have a recognised support package from Social Services and a financial guarantor in place. A financial guarantor is a current site resident, usually a family member, who will sign an agreement to act as a trustee for the amount of the rent.

Unacceptable behaviour

Applicants will not normally be accepted on to the pitch waiting list if they, or a member of their household with whom they would usually reside, has behaved unacceptably. This behaviour may include, but is not limited to:

  • convictions for violent or other serious offence(s)
  • convictions for drug use or drug dealing
  • used threatening language or behaviour towards any officer of a council
  • been subject to an injunction over violent behaviour in the past three years
  • behaved in an antisocial manner towards neighbours
  • supplied false or misleading information when making an application for a pitch in the East Riding of Yorkshire
  • deliberately worsened their housing situation
  • moved onto one or more of our sites without advance permission
  • has property in the East Riding of Yorkshire which they can reasonably be expected to occupy.

Rent arrears

You will not be eligible to apply for a pitch if you have rent arrears or former tenant debts with East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

If you are not sure whether you are eligible to join the pitch waiting list please complete the traveller site pitch application form and we will let you know.

The following pdf is our pitch application form and allocation policy which sets out who is eligible to go on our waiting list:

Traveller Site Pitch Application Form and Allocation Policy (word 250kb)

How do I apply for a pitch on a traveller site?

To apply for a pitch you need to complete the traveller site pitch application form. You may wish to check that you are eligible for a pitch first. The following pdf document is our pitch application form, that you can download, print off and complete:

Traveller Site Pitch Application Form and Allocation Policy (word 250kb)

When you have completed the form you can return it to any customer service centre, to the Warden on-site or send it to:

Gypsy and Traveller Support Team
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
Cross Street
HU17 9BA.

You can also request a form by contacting using the details below:


Tel: (01482) 393939

You will also need to provide us with proof of your identity, and proof that you are eligible to live in the UK.

If your circumstances change after you have applied e.g. you move home or have a baby, you must update your application if you wish to remain on the waiting list.

You can update your application by contacting us at the details below:


Tel: (01482) 393939

How do you decide who gets a pitch?

Our pitch allocation policy is based on five 'bands' with specific qualifying criteria. Band 1 is the highest band with the greatest need for a pitch. Your pitch needs and other circumstances are assessed on the information you provide, and you will be placed in the highest band that your circumstances allow.

Within each band, applications are ranked in date order from the date that they were accepted into that band - and not the original application date.

The following pdf document is our pitch allocation policy:

Traveller Site Pitch Application Form and Allocation Policy (word 250kb)

If you have been accepted onto the waiting list and you believe that you are in a higher band or the same band but have been in that band longer than an applicant who is allocated a pitch ahead of you, please contact us and we will review your application.


Tel: (01482) 393939

We will contact you by email, telephone or letter as soon as a property is available for you, so please ensure that we have your up-to-date contact information or you may miss out.

How long will I have to wait to get a pitch on a traveller site?

Many applicants ask how long it will take to get a pitch. This, unfortunately, is impossible to predict as we don't know if or when a pitch is going to become vacant, and applicants are constantly joining and leaving the waiting list.

We will contact you as soon as a pitch is available for you.

What facilities are available on your traveller sites?

On each pitch residents have access to an amenity block with kitchen, shower and toilet facilities. There is an electric and water supply to each pitch.

On each site, we have a Warden's Office, where a Gypsy and Traveller Support Assistant is based and is usually available on weekday mornings.

Do you currently have any pitches on a traveller site available to rent?

We get very few vacancies on our Woodhill and Eppleworth travellers' sites, but vacancies on the Woldgate site are more common.

We allocate pitches using our pitch allocation waiting list, and in accordance with our pitch allocation policy. When an applicant is at the top of the list for a current vacancy we will contact them directly. If we have any vacancies and no-one on the waiting list for them we will advertise them here.

How much does it cost to rent a pitch on a traveller site?

In 2023/24 the Woldgate and Eppleworth sites cost £111.16 rent plus £18.10 service charge per week - a total of £129.26 per week.

The Woodhill site is £84.07 for a single pitch and £126.75 for a double pitch in 2023/24.

Can I get help with the rent for a pitch on a traveller site?

You may be able to claim housing benefit to help with your rent, such as if you are the tenant of a pitch on a council traveller site, you live on the pitch and you are on a low income.

In order to process a new claim the benefits team will need proof for you and your partner, of your identities, national insurance numbers, income, capital and savings, along with proof of income for any other adults that live with you.

Please take original documents for evidence to your nearest customer service centre.

You can also make a claim for Universal Credit with the Department of Works and Pensions.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News