Hedge protection and regulations

Apply for or object to the removal of countryside hedgerows, works to hedges, complain about high hedges, report wildlife offences and common law rights.

Protected hedgerows

A countryside hedgerow is protected if it meets certain criteria for:

  • length
  • location
  • 'importance'.

This protection does not apply to hedgerows used to mark the boundary of private gardens.

Get more advice and criteria on which hedgerows are protected from the GOV.UK website.

Can hedgerows be protected by other means?

Hedgerows may sometimes be protected as a condition of planning permission. Any works to hedgerows protected by planning permission conditions will require our consent.

Are there any penalties for destroying a protected hedgerow?

A fine of up to £5,000 can be imposed in the Magistrates Court, although more serious cases may be tried in the Crown Court and subject to an unlimited fine.

Countryside hedgerow removal and appeals

You will need to submit a planning application to request the removal of a countryside hedgerow. There is currently no charge for this type of application. Once you have submitted an application, we will make a decision within 6 weeks.

If we decide the hedgerow is important, as specified in the legislation criteria, your application will be refused and a hedgerow retention notice will be served. This prevents the hedgerow from being removed.

If we decide the hedgerow isn't classed as important, we will instead serve a hedgerow removal notice. This allows the hedgerow to be removed.

Apply to remove a countryside hedgerow on the planning portal website.

Can I appeal the council's decision about a countryside hedgerow?

Appeals about a protected hedgerow can be made within 28 days of our formal decision.

Appeal a hedgerow notice decision on the GOV.UK website

Do I have to notify the council before carrying out work to a countryside hedgerow?

Some types of work may be carried out to a countryside hedgerow without contacting us first. This includes:

  • making a new opening in replacement for an existing opening that gives access to land, such as a gate. In this instance, the previous opening must be closed and filled within 8 months
  • obtaining temporary access to land in an emergency, such as providing access for an ambulance
  • obtaining access to land where other methods are not available, or only available at disproportionate cost
  • national defence purposes
  • where planning permission has been granted, excluding works that involve permitted development rights
  • work carried out under Act of Parliament for flood defence or land drainage purposes
  • prevention of the spread of plant diseases by an authorised inspector
  • works carried out by the Highway Agency
  • protecting or preventing danger to electric lines and related items
  • proper management of the hedgerow, such as coppicing.

High hedges

As a result of its height, a hedge that acts as a barrier to light or access; to the extent that it adversely affects the reasonable enjoyment of one or more persons' residential property.

To meet the definition, the hedge must be over 2 metres in height and completely or significantly made up of evergreen or semi-evergreen species, such as leylandii, holly or privet hedging. It must be self-supporting and formed in a line of two or more trees or shrubs.

Can I trim a neighbours hedge?

If a tree or hedge located on neighbouring land overhangs your property, you are permitted to prune any overhanging branches or roots back to the boundary.

You must not go beyond the boundary, and any material removed from the tree or hedge should be offered back to the owner. You must also not destabilise or cause a disproportionate amount of damage to the tree or hedge.

Can I complain about a high hedge?

Before we can investigate a complaint, you must have attempted at least twice to resolve the issue by negotiating with the owner. You can attempt this verbally or in writing.

The Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) website contains detailed publications which explain the legislation in more detail and provide guidance for use in considering high hedge cases. The two most useful documents can be accessed through the links below:

GOV.UK - High hedges complaints: Prevention and cure (external website)

GOV.UK - Hedge height and light loss (external website)

If you fail to resolve the issue directly with the hedge owner you can ask us to formally investigate your complaint.

The standard fee for this application is currently £384, although it can be reduced if you are in receipt of council tax benefit, housing benefit, family credit, working family tax credit, disability working allowance, or income support. If you are making a joint application with other residents, the fee is £576.

The council has produced a 'High Hedge Pack' which consists of the application form and guidance documents which must be read before completing the application form.

High Hedge Pack - Application Form and Guidance Notes (word 65kb)

What happens after I submit a complaint about a high hedge?

We will assess the situation from any affected property and contact the hedge owner to do the same from their side before making a decision. If necessary, we may serve a 'remedial notice' ordering the owner to reduce the height of the hedge within a specified time, and maintain it below a specified height going forward.

If the owner does not take action to reduce the height of hedge after being served with a remedial notice, we may take steps to do this on their behalf and possibly prosecute the owner under the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003, and the High Hedges Regulations 2005.

Can I appeal the council's decision about a high hedge?

Both the owner and the person complaining can appeal our decision. You must do this within 28 days of our decision.

More about appealing a high hedge decision

Appeal against a high hedge decision

Council-owned hedges

We own and control a number of hedges that grow on council-owned land, which may include parks, schools and public highways.

Report a concern about a hedge on council land

Structural damage caused by a hedge

If you have an insurance policy for your building, you should first consider contacting them. If the damage isn't covered by an insurance policy or you do not wish to go down this route, you could instead consider contacting a structural engineer to determine if the hedge is responsible.

Before carrying out any work on a hedge, you should first approach the owner if it is not yours. You may wish to seek legal advice if the owner is unwilling to act, and you should also check if there are any planning restrictions that may affect the work before carrying it out.

Wildlife concerns

Many wildlife habitats are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, which makes it an offence to kill, injure or take animals, including their young, eggs or nests.

Non-urgent work to hedges should be avoided during the bird nesting and breeding season, which is usually between 1st March and 31st August. If in doubt, you are advised to consult an expert so they can carry out an appropriate wildlife survey.

If you suspect an offence has been committed in relation to wild birds or a protected species, then you should report the incident to your local police force on the 101 non-emergency telephone number.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News